Ipod unreadable in Columbus, please help

Hi!

I have ipod classic 5th generation. It worked flawlessly in Volvo S80 and Peugeot 508, in which infotainment systems are vastly inferior to Columbus. But when I plug ipod in Columbus it says "USB unreadable". I tried it in 3 different superbs, always the same.

It's full of music (almost 80 gb in apple  lossless) and I am lost without it !

As far as I know columbus shouldn't be bothered by the usual sd or usb limits, because the file handling remains with ipod and columbus doesn't make a prescan.

I know I can transfer all music from stupid itunes folder to sdxc card or usb key, but itunes organizes everything in folders for every artist, so there are 1.700 subfolders in itunes folder and columbus wouldn't swallow it. Besides I have a lot of playlists which are not usable if transfered, cause the source files would be moved.

Anyone has any idea? Please I really need help.

Thanks in advance.

But when I plug ipod in Columbus it says "USB unreadable".

This is because the MiB-2 Columbus only supports iOS devices and the Classic you are using is not an iOS device.

post-74330-0-16818700-1481719451_thumb.jpg

When you connect the Classic it is being recognised simply as a hard drive but it's not in a compatible format - FAT or NTFS.

Unfortunately technology doesn't stand still and old technology gets left behind, such as the Classic's OS that hasn't been updated since 2009.

Your options are...

• Upgrade to an iOS device. If you want to store your 80 GB with playlists then you'll need a 128 GB device which means either a current 6th generation iPod Touch or an iPhone 6 or newer. Both are Bluetooth devices so will leave your USB free. If you can get your hands on a cheap used 128 GB iPhone 6 you could use it purely as an iOS iPod without needing to activate/use the telephony functions, though if you'd want to use CarPlay/Siri you'd probably need an internet connection.
  • Spread your music library across SD/USB and/or Jukebox but, as you say, you'll lose your existing playlists.
  • Use the AUX input. Far from ideal as the only Columbus control is volume, everything else being controlled from the iPod. No display of tracks, albums or artwork on Columbus.

This is because the MiB-2 Columbus only supports iOS devices and the Classic you are using is not an iOS device.

BillyJim, thank you very much for your clarification. Of course, I forgot about IOS. Well, all that I am left with is to rearrange and reorganize my itunes file library and sort everything in a reasonable number of directories and put everything on a 128 gb sdxc card. 

2 weeks job. And I thought ripping my favorite cd's to FLAC (for usb or sd) will be my only suffering. It's nice my superb is not in a factory yet and those after new year weeks are very suitable for such a lousy job :) 

Well, I never liked itunes anyway and ipod as a player  was never comparable to cd sound even with apple lossless.  And it's time for some new playlists also:). I hope apple lossless won't bother columbus. My ipod is a mixture of cca 3/4 m4a's and 1/4 mp3 (320kbit).

Thanks again.

• Upgrade to an iOS device. If you want to store your 80 GB with playlists then you'll need a 128 GB device which means either a current 6th generation iPod Touch or an iPhone 6 or newer. 

Sorry to bother you again but I have an idea. Considering I will rip my core music to FLAC for an SD card I could convert my entire lossless music to mp3 320 and fit everything well below 64 GB. On ebay I see you can get used ipod touch 5th generatin 64 GB for around 150 bucks. Difference between 5th and 6th G is bluetooth 4.0 on 5th and 4,1 on 6th. I wonder can this difference be a factor? I want to have ipod fully controled over bluetooth on columbus head unit (with artwork, tracks, album, artist) and at the same time my android phone connected for phone calls.

Do you think it can be done? It would save me a lot of mumbo jumbo work.

Thank you.

It can be done. You can have both a phone and iPod Touch connected simultaneously via Bluetooth. Only one device can be your Bluetooth audio player, so that would be your iPod. After pairing select it in Media > Sources (the SD Card icon) >  BT Audio.

Control and display of artwork from a Bluetooth connected iOS device was shown as fully working on Columbus in an early video review of the Superb III by Ausfahrt TV (the German version). In that instance it was an iPhone but would be the same for the iPod Touch.

The 5th gen iPod Touch supports artwork over Bluetooth.

The update of Bluetooth from 4.0 to 4.1 was to enable a wider bandwidth (for the "internet of things" smart devices) and reduce possible interference from 4G LTE signals. This may mean the Bluetooth 4.0 connection might occasionally drop out in 4G areas.

If loss of Bluetooth connection becomes an issue then an alternative is to connect the Android phone via Bluetooth and the iPod Touch via USB.

• Like 1

I remembered that bluetooth ipod connection will be more or less a wish only, cause battery in an old ipod wouldn't last long enough. I presume that ipod charges when connected through USB so that would eliminate battery problem.

Thank you.

got my new Superb 1 week ago. Connected my old iPod classic 120Gb to the USB and it works fine. Moving through the menus is a little tedious, and you can't use Genius, but fundamentally it works just fine.

I haven't tried using it with my superb but iPod classic has support for rockbox firmware - which allows you to play flacs too.

It lets you connect the iPod in "mass storage mode" - it might work..

But then.. you could fill an sd card with flacs anyway :)

Today I was at my dealer testing 4 FLAC ripped CD's on SD CARD so I don't rip few hundreds of them and then find out something is wrong. And good for me that I did make a test. When inserted all 4 cd's where there but crossed out. In the directory of each all songs were there also strucked out. When picked, everyone of them dissapeared and message appeared "No files to read" or something like that.

I used AOC for ripping, file names are of normal lenght all songs properly tagged. I used simple SDHC 8GB card.

I haven't got a clue. Any help again:)?