Wind noise

Hi,

Do any of owners here experience excessive wind noise around driver's or passenger's door? In range of 60-70mph I hear constant engine noise (normal), constant wind noise around car (normal) and then I have some sort of whooshes and hisses right next to my ear, in area near lower chrome door trim. This noise is not constant, it hisses and whooshes in intervals of second or two.

Something like this.

I've checked other side of the car and I and my wife agree that noise appears only on one side of the car. I don't remember hearing this noise on previous S2 at similar speeds. I think this noise was not present until a few weeks ago.

I've been to dealer and he has realigned driver's upper door frame, it was sticking out 1 millimeter more than rear door but it has not made any significant difference and the noise is still there. I'll request a demo car and check if it has the same noise. I was also looking at seal between rear and front door (rubber between black plastic pieces when you close door) and I'm not sure it is 100% tight on drivers side.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I also have this exact problem but it sounds on mine like it's coming from the upper chrome trim. I wonder if it might be coming from the roof bar holes in the upper door frame surround as there are no plastic plugs in place... I'm going to cover them with tape and see if it improves. 

Just to add: it only seems to happen with crosswind gusts, linear wind from driving in calm weather doesn't cause an issue and the car is completely silent 

Edited by drewellis

I also think it's too much wind noise and began taping little round side mirror but without much improvement. It's worst when it rains because I believe that water comes in somewhere and make noise.

• 1 month later...

I have tried taping over the roof bar holes in the door frame, this didn't work. I now have a roll of masking tape in the car and I'm going to tape over different parts of the trim pieces on my journeys to and from work to see if I can find the source.

I had to do this on my 59 plate Vauxhall Insignia a few years ago, and I must admit I'm disappointed that I'm having to do it on a £32k+ VAG car.... :(

If I don't have any luck I'll take it to the dealership and get them to replace all the seals under warranty

• 3 weeks later...

Not from me yet, I'm still waiting for a day to take the car into the dealers (its a awkward due to work and my location etc) 

I also need to take it back for the interior light strip across the dash - the drivers end of the big strip has gone dim :o

It's such a disappointment from Skoda. For my car, when travelling at speed above 60km/h, not only wind noise is heard but the outside traffic noise can be heard quite clearly as well. Does anyone notice this?

• 3 weeks later...

I found the source of my air leak...about half way up the drivers side window seal (on the inside) there is a small bend in the seal, like someone has pulled it out at some point and permanently damaged it. When the wind noise occurs, I press this part of the seal down to where it should sit (like how the passenger side seal sits) and the noise goes away!

So the car is finally in today for this wind noise and also a dash LED issue. It was also due to have a rattle investigated around the headlight switch but it didn't appear on the test drive with the technician (sod's law) so they won't be looking at that.

I will post an update tonight when I know what they have or haven't done.

Will upload a pic asap. The dealers have agreed to replace the window seal! And also the dashboard LED strip! As mentioned however the rattle wasn't investigated, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad :)

They'll call me when the parts are in (dashboard strip is made to order as they only normally make enough to fit to the cars they're building - I guess it doesn't fail often)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the same issue with a crimped window seal. Mine is in the top left hand corner as you look from the outside. I am sure it is the source of an annoying wind buffeting noise that I can hear clearly at speeds above about 50mph.

Off to the dealers tomorrow to get it checked. I will post a piccie when daylight returns.

Source of my wind noise was a small 'crimp' in the innermost rubber seal of the drivers door; the one fixed into the body not on the door. Position at the top left hand 90 degree corner as seen from the outside.

Tech managed to 'massage' the crimp out and this has, I think, virtually solved the problem. It is certainly nowhere near as noticeable if at all. It is bit windy here today so difficult to tell exactly. 

Tech have offered to replace the seal if required but I don't think it will be necessary :thumbup::thumbup:

Brought the car to dealer yesterday and the mechanics confirmed the noise after a test drive. As he drove the car, I was sitting in different seats and noticed the similar noise coming from all the doors. Still need to wait for a more thorough check next week but I doubt they'll find a solution since it seems like a systematic issue. Bad :(

On 2017-5-8 at 09:16, drewellis said:

Will upload a pic asap. The dealers have agreed to replace the window seal! And also the dashboard LED strip! As mentioned however the rattle wasn't investigated, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad :)

They'll call me when the parts are in (dashboard strip is made to order as they only normally make enough to fit to the cars they're building - I guess it doesn't fail often)

I am ashamed that it's taken almost a month to get a photo of the source of my noise. Apologies! Here are the pics....you'll notice in the closer photo that where the tiny crimp in the seal is (where the arrow points) the seal doesn't sit as tight as it should (compared to the 2 points marked in red). The 2nd photo gives you a better idea of where you're looking - it's on the driver's door. When you pull the seal out to inspect inside, there is a torx screw holding some part of the window frame together, so I suspect at some point this has been accessed, and the seal has been damaged in the process. This seal is the one that Skoda have agreed to replace under warranty.

Edit: it's worth noting that when you press the seal into the white door frame (where it's supposed to sit tight against) the wind noise disappears. This was enough proof for Skoda to do something about it.

Just goes to show, a tiny little crimp in a seal can cause a world of hell.....

20170601_143316.jpg

20170601_143327.jpg

Edited by drewellis

Yep, same problem as on mine except in a different place. Mine is on the internal seal.

I have also been offered a replacement seal under warranty. Tech said very clearly that there should be NO wind noise on an S3 L&K.

crimp 2.jpg

1 minute ago, Sagalout said:

Yep, same problem as on mine except in a different place. Mine is on the internal seal.

I have also been offered a replacement seal under warranty. Tech said very clearly that there should be NO wind noise on an S3 L&K.

crimp 2.jpg

Just plenty of rattles instead lol ;) mine's doing my head in at the moment, tiny little rattles from various places

Those pictures are really worth a thousand words! Thanks a lot! I'll print the discussion in this thread out and send it to my dealer, hopefully they can do something about my car. The bad thing is for my car, it seems like the wind noise appears on every door. And that means something more serious. I have a feeling that the doors are a lot more light weight (when closing them with force) than those in my previous Mk II and afraid that Skoda has done some excessive weight cut, which may result in worse insulation.

15 hours ago, reindeer said:

Those pictures are really worth a thousand words! Thanks a lot! I'll print the discussion in this thread out and send it to my dealer, hopefully they can do something about my car. The bad thing is for my car, it seems like the wind noise appears on every door. And that means something more serious. I have a feeling that the doors are a lot more light weight (when closing them with force) than those in my previous Mk II and afraid that Skoda has done some excessive weight cut, which may result in worse insulation.

No worries :) I have treated all my door seals, sunroof seal and boot seal with some silicone spray (then wiped down with a dry cloth).

I did this on all my older cars with sunroofs, it keeps the seals in good condition and reduces wear / dryness which can lead to dreaded noises and air leaks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I took the car to the dealer last week and left it there for the whole day. Unfortunately it was a raining and not windy day so it was a bit difficult to test for wind noise. At the end of the day, they told me that the mechanic found a small gap (about a couple of millimeters) in one of the plastic piece on the windshield. They fixed it and hoped the wind go away. However, it doesn't. The wind noise is still there.

Im having this same problem. Wind noise both sides, driver side worse. I took the car dealer yesterday and they confirmed the noise. They didnt find a fix yet. They send email to Skoda what to do.

1 hour ago, Grap said:

Im having this same problem. Wind noise both sides, driver side worse. I took the car dealer yesterday and they confirmed the noise. They didnt find a fix yet. They send email to Skoda what to do.

It seems quite a common issue. At least I noticed the same thing when test driving a demo car. It's a bit surprising to me that not many people here complaint about this. What dealer in Finland did you bring the car to? Mine is Metroauto and I doubt that they're gonna find the root cause.

7 minutes ago, reindeer said:

It seems quite a common issue. At least I noticed the same thing when test driving a demo car. It's a bit surprising to me that not many people here complaint about this. What dealer in Finland did you bring the car to? Mine is Metroauto and I doubt that they're gonna find the root cause.

Laakkonen. They tried taping the door upper frame and window but it didnt help.