How Many different windscreens?

Looks like I may need to get a new windscreen.

Not a big deal cost wise insurance repair would be £10 replacement £75.

Would prefer repair, to minimise disruption to all the all the sensors and possible paint damage.

Spoke to Autoglass on phone - chip repair should not be a problem but there is also a surface scratch which they think may not be possible to repair using their filling method.

If the scratch were anywhere other than right in line of vision I might just leave it,but unfortunately that is where it is. It may also be enough to damage wiper blades.

So looks like, despite not being too major, replacement might be on the cards. Autoglass suggest coming out ready for both eventualities (I am not near their centres so they want to get it done in one trip)

How many variations in screens are there? anything particular to watch out for in terms of getting the right one?

2016 2.0 TDI SE-L   Auto dip rearview mirror, auto wipers, auto headlights, front assist. Ordinary CC, don't have ACC. As far as I know don't have lane assist but not sure how to tell if I do.

Gave reg to Autoglass, they said car had acoustic glass, but their records can not include all details as he still asked if it had a top tint.

It's just that a few years ago had a screen replaced on a 20 year old Saab 900. Autoglass arrived with a bronze tint screen for a car with green tint and thought it might just do anyway.

Edited by Octy0GG

I'm afraid I can't help on the details about which you ask but from experience I know that the repair process can result in the screen cracking to the extent that a new one is required anyway.

I once had a guy come to repair a chip then he refused to carry out the repair because he said it was a "double chip" and he could not apply the normal repair process.

So we had to reschedule another visit for a new screen. At more cost to me of course.

I had a chip repair a few weeks ago, I had it done within 3 hours of it happening you really have to look for the repair and the quicker you get it done the less chance it has of spreading,

Autoglass did bring screen 'just in case'. Repaired rather than replaced in the end. - Happy with result.

Much as a new screen is nice, I was happy with minimum disruption + £10 excess still better than £75.

I had my mk2 Vrs screen replaced at the start of the year. The fitters couldn't get the one for my car and ended up ordering an OE one, £700 the thing cost. I was over the moon knowing it was going to be a genuine, I feel the aftermarket ones chip and scratch easily.

I've had a few repairs done on different cars over the years. Usually been impressed. But one failed revealing a hole drilled in the screen. Was fixed again but the operative said "we dont do them like that any more".

It's worth checking to see if you have any type of lens in the rear-view mirror area. If so you might have to have it recalibrated at a dealership.

Agreed.

That's why I was glad that a repair was possible.

Having said that given the Reg. Autoglass were able to say what was on the car, mind you presume that was just what was standard for SE-L, may not have included any optional extras if fitted.

A mate of mine has a VRS with all the toys on it, he's on his 4 windscreen now, 1) got cracked by stone, 2) replacement started to delaminate and lane assist etc didn't work, 3) wrong one fitted, 4) OEM and surprise everything works now.

Not sure of the company which supplied them.

Trev

Edited by Aston bodger

I had my VRS 2016 wondscreen replaced two weeks ago due to a crack. It was replaced my national windscreen and they fitted OEM carried out recalibration on the camera took 3 hours and touch wood know issues so far.

I went through my insurance cost me £65 and was told when i was in there that if i didnt go through them them it would of cost me £1200 which i couldnt believe.

I had my VRS 2016 wondscreen replaced two weeks ago due to a crack. It was replaced my national windscreen and they fitted OEM carried out recalibration on the camera took 3 hours and touch wood know issues so far.

I went through my insurance cost me £65 and was told when i was in there that if i didnt go through them them it would of cost me £1200 which i couldnt believe.

Wow, that's some cost! Do you have heated screen as well?