Engine Cooling Issue

Owned my vRS TDi for 2.5 years, 46,000 miles and has been a fabulous servant - fantastic all rounder. About a year ago, I had to refill coolant - was pretty much empty, and it drew a warning, but temperature gauge remained at 90.

Then recently engine temp went right up to 130 on a motorway under normal driving - I'd have stopped sooner but didn't notice until a warning pinged.

Again, coolant needed a hefty top up, but since then had a few more instances of temp exceeding 90 degrees. Weirdly, it seems to happen when the car first warms up - backing right out the throttle and keeping revs low returns temps to normal and then the car is fine for remainder of the journey.

It's been intimitant and coolant has stayed in the correct range since refuelling - booked in on Thursday for a closer look, but anyone have any clues as to what is going on?

Timing is annoying as PCP coming to an end, and am thinking of keeping....

Edited by fiisch