Coolant temperature showing 110°C

Hi folks,

Just a quick one this morning. On my commute to work my coolant gauge went to 110°C this morning, this is the first time it has ever happened.

No excessive speed max about 60mph, car is due a service in the next 1,000 miles. The fans did kick in and brought it back down to 90° but is there any reason for this to happen.

Any help is much appreciated.

110C is still within the limit I guess, but strange indeed. Did you check the coolant level?

Since fans did work, I assume fuse is ok, but maybe the thermostat?

I don't think that 110°C is within the limit. In VAG cars the temperature gauge goes up only if there is a problem.

I live in hot climate, and even on hottest summer days when climbing hills on high speed (about 70mph), the temperature gauge never shows more than 90°C.

As far as I recall, in this car fans shall kick in at about 105°C - the gauge still supposed to show 90°C.
Also, in this engine the thermostat supposed to be electronic with normally open position (so in case of problem the engine should not overheat).

Check, maybe the cooling liquid is missing or the radiator is clogged or dirty or the unit which controls fans does not kick in time.

If you can, I recommend checking the actual temperate with diagnostic software.

It's not normal but still within the "green zone"; on the other hand, I have never seen anything past 90C myself so I would agree that something is indeed wrong.

There was one other topic where someone reported "scum" in the coolant reservoir. There was a leak somewhere in the engine leading to oil mixing to the coolant as far as I recall. In case you have such problem there might be solids moving around the cooling system...check if the coolant looks clean.

Probably not the most accurate of tests, but I left the car to run while idling on my break with the ventilation on full low a/c not used.

Coolant gauge hit the 50 mark in 10 minutes, 16 minutes to hit the 70 mark and then stayed dead on 90 at the 23 minute mark. Left it 10 minutes and needle didn't go beyond the 90 mark.

I switched the vents to high on full, again a/c not used and needle immediately started to drop below 90 eventually hovering around the 60 mark.

I checked the coolant level before starting and it was above the max level, where the top and bottom half of the

reservoir are joined.

There's no scum either, so thankfully no mixing of oil and coolant and the exhaust runs clear.

I'll take it for a spin after work and check again if the coolant temperature goes above 90 and report back.

Thankfully car is still under warranty should there be a problem.

Perhaps something blocked the radiator grille whilst you were driving along (leaves or a plastic bag, maybe) and has fallen off once you stopped.

Quite possible Peter as when I came to a stop, the temperature did start to drop below 110. I'll know this evening for certain whether it's nothing or something of concern.

Might be a sign of the water pump failing. There seems to be a common problem on 14 plate diesels where the car would overheat not long after starting a journey. You would stop the car for 2 minutes start it again and it would be fine for the rest of the trip.

Known issue and the water pump was replaced under warranty.

So another update, took the car for a spin totalling 40 miles.

Within 10 minutes the car started creeping over 90° eventually reaching a max of 115, at this point I was going to pull over and stop the gauge from going any higher.

What I did notice was that as the coolant gauge climbed so did the oil, that hitting 110° before both fell back to 90° for the coolant and 90-95° for the oil for the remaining 40 minutes of driving.

I tried putting the engine under load in 2nd and 3rd gear to see if they would deviate, the oil did rise back to around 100° but the coolant gauge stayed fixed at 90°

To be honest I'm none the wiser as to what's caused/causing this and I can't get the car seen to till January.

Attached are two pictures one while pulled over, the other after the 40 miles.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wKlAt

Might be a sign of the water pump failing. There seems to be a common problem on 14 plate diesels where the car would overheat not long after starting a journey. You would stop the car for 2 minutes start it again and it would be fine for the rest of the trip.

Known issue and the water pump was replaced under warranty.

^^^^THIS^^^^

• Like 1