First road bike

VRS Mike

5E89839B-928B-4C77-BAC5-45E02F937A66.jpg

Collected this this morning all the way from Folkestone, it's basically new with a few choice modifications. Problem is it's too nice to get dirty so I'm now looking for a "winter" bike.

Mrs says I can't keep it in the house, but I think it will live in the downstairs bathroom. I'd like to hang it on the wall but no chance of that.

Roll on summer.

• Like 1

Found a split in the handle bars, looks like they might have been over tightened. Just ordered a new set on sale, the ones fitted are too wide for me anyway.

Pedals arrive today, will probably get some wider tyres in the new year as it's currently running 23mm

Found a split in the handle bars, looks like they might have been over tightened. Just ordered a new set on sale, the ones fitted are too wide for me anyway.

Pedals arrive today, will probably get some wider tyres in the new year as it's currently running 23mm

Are the bar carbon?  If you have split in the bars on a brand new bike you should be going back to the supplier and complaining, unless of course you know where it's come from.

Are the bar carbon? If you have split in the bars on a brand new bike you should be going back to the supplier and complaining, unless of course you know where it's come from.

Bike was bought secondhand. I think the guy who fitted them over tightened them. I've already fitted some replacements.

Anything carbon needs a torque wrench to do it up. I've a nice 2-25 Nm one for those jobs. Cost a few quid but better than the expensive crack of carbon....

I've ordered a super low range torque wrench, I don't want to have any similar issues in the future.

Planning on getting some new tyres and inner tubes without the need for extended valves and hopefully get out on it soon

Nice looking frame, those rims are pretty WHITEEEEE!

I like the black on white theme lol.

Hoping to get out on Monday for a 50 mile first ride, depends on if there is any ice. Went out last night on the MTB and one of the lads had an off on a back road due to black ice. We were all going about 25mph trying to lose speed without locking up, was rather interesting to say the least.

Spent some more money, bought some 25mm gatorskins, new tubes so I don't need extended valves, bike stand, small lock, and had to order a track pump as my cheapo one would pump the tyres above 85psi!

4916683F-D922-442E-992A-F09E0CA6B689.jpg

Did 50km today with an elevation gain of 1900ft, didn't eat enough for breakfast and despite a gel I was really struggling the last 10k. I've cycles 70 miles this week and ran 5 so may have over done it!

I've ordered a more road orientated cycling jersey which should reduce drag, I think I may get a slightly shorter stem as I find it too much of a stretch, I may just get used to it. Managed nearly 40mph which isn't bad going in this weather.

• Like 1

Feet were a little cold, but having played footy since I was a kid I'm used to poor weather. Been doing a fair bit of MTB riding, looking forward to smashing my Strava segment times when the weather improves

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting out every weekend on this now. Managed 40 miles on Saturday at a pretty good pace. One of my mates isn't quite as fit so the last few miles were slow. 

Aiming for 1500 miles this year, but at this rate it will be closer to 5000. I seem to be spending a fortune of clothing and little bits for the bike, it's becoming a bit of an obsession. 

10 hours ago, VRS Mike said:

I seem to be spending a fortune of clothing and little bits for the bike, it's becoming a bit of an obsession. 

I find it worse than modifying cars, such a slippery slope.  Wait until you change bike or n+1 happens and its a different colour scheme, you then realise that your current wardrobe doesn't match and you have to buy even more clothing!

I feel your pain. N+1 struck twice now, so in addition to my 'vintage' 1992 mountain bike complete with XT groupset, thumb shifters and Onza bar-ends, I have a cyclocross bike (Plug Charge 3) and a new road bike (Genesis Eqi disk 20). then there is the missus's bike and the kids two bikes.

Then there is the clothes. 2 pairs of shoes. Tools, bike stand, track pump and all that jazz....

Its a disease

Look into purchasing some overboots for your cycling shoes. You'll never look back I promise. Chain reaction will help to empty your wallet. Book a sportive too! The Wiggle ones are very well run. 

• 5 months later...

Bike now looks like this. 

235D7F2C-4C5E-4594-ABAC-3BF0A0918D81.jpg

The only original items are the frame set, group set, and brake calipers. Every thing else has been changed!

I had surgery on an old injury so haven't been on the bike outside for over 4 weeks. My foot looked like this when I had the cast removed 2 weeks ago

F0CB9DAA-3133-4A77-91B8-6A2F77F6C0F8.jpg

I've got a 100 sportive in three weeks. Don't think I'll be ready for this so might have to do the short route! Can't wait to get out there again. 

OUCH!! :o

Wishing you a speedy recovery - might be an idea to take a rain check on the sportive.

Gaz