ABS control unit removal

I think the electronics bit of my abs module is dead  (I have checked the fuses).  Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to remove the electronics bit without disconnecting the hydraulics pipes and taking out the whole module?  Also be great to hear from anyone who repaired one.

If you look at the third photo in this ebay listing, it appears that the electronic bit is held on with 4 Torx screws, upwards from below, as mounted on the car. 

I have no idea quite what happens after you undo those, but I tend to take the view "Try it and see". :D

By the way, the particular module shown in that listing is unlikely to be the exact one you need, I just picked the first listing of a mk1 Fabia ABS pump that had a useful photo.

If you look at the third photo in this ebay listing, it appears that the electronic bit is held on with 4 Torx screws, upwards from below, as mounted on the car. 

I have no idea quite what happens after you undo those, but I tend to take the view "Try it and see". :D

By the way, the particular module shown in that listing is unlikely to be the exact one you need, I just picked the first listing of a mk1 Fabia ABS pump that had a useful photo.

I had one in the garage so let's see :D

Undo 4 X Torx bolts

20170105_094452_zpsyfujbeiu.jpg

Lift off.

20170105_094505_zpsi3zvxgoi.jpg

20170105_094515_zps0qy2xd6w.jpg

Refitting was carried out in reverse order. I see no reason why it won't work. Just align the two thin prongs in picture two.

Guessing there's some electromagnetic witchcraft that happens inside.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input guys.  My electronics have to move sideways rather than down.  I'm thinking I might get the nuts behind the unit undone and not be able to get them back on, or maybe there isn't enough room to move the unit over for the solenoids to clear the pump body.  I'd like to get an idea of how long the job is going to take before I start - wouldn't be such an issue in the summer!

I took a photo today but when I attached the file the picture appeared only 1cm square and I couldn't enlarge it.

• 7 years later...

To help others & thanks to @AshPearson for linking back to this thread, I've attached my old photo & comments of the ABS unit:-

The ABS splits into two components both can purchased new separately! One is the hydraulic block which is what the fluid is in & is silver in colour. The black plastic box is the electronics & the main PCB in this fails. I had this happen to me, & sent the unit off to be remanufactured/repaired, but the PCB had components on it which were FUBAR. So a whole new unit was ordered, I could have just got the electronic box & fitted it to the main block.

There are only six small TX-star screws which connect the two units together, but the new (or reused second hand) electronic unit will need VCDS to recode it to your car, so you need to save the coding from the old unit.

image.thumb.jpeg.c680015c6161b7c3e8aa9a0ca6aee153.jpeg

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

Compared to strip fuse cracking I think module failure must be very rare, so no-one should even contemplate blaming the module ahead of checking that fuse.

See massive thread full of happy people here: 00301 - ABS Return Flow Pump (V39) - Skoda Fabia Mk I (1999-2007) - BRISKODA

Edited by Breezy_Pete

17 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Compared to strip fuse cracking I think module failure must be very rare, so no-one should even contemplate blaming the module ahead of checking that fuse.

The reason for the post is that I was PM'd by a member regarding splitting the ABS unit & referred to these two threads....So for reference I attached the photo showing that the ABS can be split apart easily & that the two sections can be separated. 

In the ABS units the PCB boards can fail, mine did & even BBA-Reman couldn't fix it...!!!...

Or if in the case of the member who contacted me, the hydraulics unit has problems (pipe/nipple threads have been FUBAR), to save recoding a used electronics unit, just separate & keep your electronics unit & re-join with a good matching hydraulics unit.

Edited by fabdavrav

Sure, all good, but someone coming to this thread might not have come across the strip-fuse crack phenomenon,  so I thought best to reference it.