Am I imagining things? DSG7 speed

Ok so in D mode when driving and you brake to slow for any reason, then accelerate again I can feel the clutch re engage so the car seems to coast between brake application and throttle application even if there are a few seconds in between. But when I do the same in M or S mode it feels as if the clutches re engage immediately after you stop braking, I'm not sure if this is actually happening or if I am imagining things. Also pulling away in 1st gear in D mode feels different than pulling away in 1st gear in S or M. Is this really happening? Thanks guys

7 Speed DSG when in 'D',   6 speed when in 'S'.  Holding 1st longer in 'S' but ready to change to 2nd.

Then there is Supercharger from 800-2,400 RPM & Turbo & Turbo only from 3,500 rpm.

Supercharger has a magnetic clutch.

So lots going on other than just the DSG.

Yeah I know about that but I'm talking about pulling away normally at part throttle, the supercharger does not engage. I know the car idles higher in S and M but it just feels different when you pull away from a junction. To me it feels like the DSG keeps the clutches engaged more of the time in S and M, which makes sense if it is true but I haven't read anywhere that there is anything different between the modes at part throttle.

Left foot braking if there is a touch of throttle ends up with power cut.

D leaving a junction can have a delay, but then different drivers in the same car can get away smoothly and no delay and surge.

It depends much on if you stopped, touched brake, stopped fully, start with a creep forward, if it is a CAVE or a CTHE, if you had a software update.

Try other peoples Twincharger or Demonstrators, ones with a standard map or remap, it all makes a difference as do tyres, 

then TC off each time is a good idea,.

No your not imagining it, son regularly notices this with the same gear box, even more profound wirh left foot breaking.

I'm glad it's not just me, it seems like D is great at slow economical driving but sucks if you want to get a bit of a move on. S is good for a race track but nothing else and M lets you decide how to drive, but the up/down on the stick is backwards and the paddles are not very easy to use (changing gear whilst turning). I've had the car nearly a year and still have never been 100 happy with the DSG

'S' is brilliant for decelerating, just fdop the stick back when driving easy on icy or snowy roads like tonight where i am, save touching the brakes.

Good when in slow crawling traffic and when you do not want it changing up and down 1st to 2nd. 

& it has it benefits on some roads when that is just what you want.

Choices can be good as different drivers do things differently in automated manuals.

Edited by Offski

I think I generally drive too aggressively for D but not aggressively enough for S. M is the obvious choice but that has negatives too, I had a bit of success trying paddles in D mode but the timeout is too short and reverts to D too quickly.

I use the stick to change down gears and knock back to D to let the box go up gears the DSG can change up best IMO.

Hate the paddles.

On my Diesel with 6 speed DSG i use the paddles all the time because there is 'Coasting Function' which means no braking,

so the stick goes in 'D' and never gets touched until parked.

Autohold & Stop / Start means never going into 'N' when stopped or keeping my foot on the brake when stopped.

Edited by Offski

Yes D will behave like that. It's goal is to be as eco as possible (whilst ready to kick down if you need it) so will coast between coming off the brake and going back onto the accelerator. You have to time it right or else there can be a jump as its not quite expecting you to do so, or you need to do it gently.

Pulling away in first takes practice I find. It will try and change up as soon as possible, so will be bumpy if you're not progressive and decisive with the accelerator.

Edited by Gumby

I'm glad it's not just me, it seems like D is great at slow economical driving but sucks if you want to get a bit of a move on. S is good for a race track but nothing else and M lets you decide how to drive, but the up/down on the stick is backwards and the paddles are not very easy to use (changing gear whilst turning). I've had the car nearly a year and still have never been 100 happy with the DSG

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks that the DSG stick is backwards when used in manual mode - this is the reason why I went for the M6 box, although I would have liked to try the M7 with paddles but the dealer didn't have that option on a demonstrator.

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the coasting function in drive, to make it behave more like sport mode, but retain the low rpm gear changes with a dsg remap?