Number plate surround covers BS No ect

Hey all

I bought myself a pair of plate surrounds some time ago and had a crack at fitting them today. However, I've now noticed that the lip at the bottom covers the BS no and plate manufacturer.

Is this acceptable? Removing the lower lip means the plate is no longer attached meaning in turn, I'd have to do away with the surrounds.

I don't know if I could get pulled by the plod for it and don't want a hefty fine for an apparent 'illegal' plate.

Can someone kindly clarify.

With the number of mis-spaced plates, illegal fonts, small plates, plates with no post code/kite mark on I personally  wouldn't worry. Plod don't seem to care

I don't think you need to display the  BS no and plate manufacturer. I think it just has to be present on the plate if required. If you do get pulled I would think you won't get a fine, just 7 or 14 days to rectify your mistake.

AG

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

The plate is required to be marked with those details but the legislation does not require that those details are visible. So you should be fine.

I ran about with pressed German font plates in holders on my old Audi and never had any issues but it all depends on your local force really.

If it's all spaced properly and the correct font I can't see them ever noticing.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ok, so sounds as if I should be ok and yes my plates are legit.

On a side note, what is the deal with these 'pressed' metal plates anyway?

Some companies and sellers from a certain site claim to be genuine yet don't require DVLA proof of vehicle ownership. Yet, others do. Always wondered about that.

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

The plate is required to be marked with those details but the legislation does not require that those details are visible. So you should be fine.

Although it does say it should be "permanently and legibly marked". Now, with "legible" being described as "clear enough to read", can it be read if the marking is hidden?

I know it's really getting pedantic, & in practice I doubt there'd be an issue, but...  All depends how much OCD a person has... <LOL>  :rofl:

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/overview has some info you might find helpful.

Edited by ProfesorDeBuceo

LordRaiden, the pressed metal plates aren't legal as far as I'm aware (mine weren't due to font) but they are reflective and not too noticeable if they are the correct font.

I was never asked for proof of ownership and was asked to type how I wanted it spaced and which font. I wouldn't fit them unless you are ok with getting pulled over and fined for them.

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 23:01, RichieXR2 said:

LordRaiden, the pressed metal plates aren't legal as far as I'm aware (mine weren't due to font) but they are reflective and not too noticeable if they are the correct font.

I was never asked for proof of ownership and was asked to type how I wanted it spaced and which font. I wouldn't fit them unless you are ok with getting pulled over and fined for them.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Ok, in that case I will avoid fitting them. I definetly don't want to get pulled and thus far, haven't. I wish to keep it that way.

I could go the 'gel resin' type plates route as I reckon they would look nice with a border but again, not sure of the legalities.

Incorrect Richie...I am one of the "boys in blue" and had to look into this very matter last year as a result of pulling someone with pressed metal plates fitted. The up-shot is that pressed metal plates CAN be legal provided the font/spacing/reflex reflective background all conform to the regulations. The issue used to be that the white/yellow reflective background didn't used to meet the Bs Au145d requirement on pressed metal plates, however due to the improvement in technology, this can now be achieved.

• Like 2