Caravan

Hi

Does anyone tow with the 1.4Tsi DSG, If so how do you get on, Mpg, Power etc and what size caravan do you pull.

I have not towed for 20 years but it is something I may well take up again.

On 23 January 2017 at 08:23, Suuntobob said:

Hi

Does anyone tow with the 1.4Tsi DSG, If so how do you get on, Mpg, Power etc and what size caravan do you pull.

I have not towed for 20 years but it is something I may well take up again.

So no caravaners on here then.

3 hours ago, CJSVRS said:

None towing with a 1.4 DSG - so that may answer your question.:biggrin:

+ 1 on that - 2.0TD1 DSG towing a 16 year old 2 berth Elddis Firestorm 350 - the Octy doesn't know it's there.

On 1/27/2017 at 06:26, themanwithnoaim said:

Errrrr. Sorry you tow regularly do you ?

Actually, yes i do. An Elddis xplore caravan. 1340kg total weight, at least once per month. But i use a Scout 2.0 TDI DSG with the wet clutch gearbox. A lot of clutch slippage when taking off is required and the wet clutches handle that much better. Thats the opinion of mechanical engineers i spoke to before purchase. So a view from those that have some understanding i guess.

Edited by daljames

The link to towing with a 1.4tsi DSG by @jhthyssen

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/408054-14-tsi-18-tsi-20-tdi-questions-comparisons/?do=findComment&comment=4687411

The only error in the text is that his conversion from 8L/100 was to 22mpUS gallons and it should be UK 35mpg, which I think is astounding by the way.

So yes, towing a suitable caravan is possible and the car performs surprisingly well although personally if it were me then I'd prefer to tow with anything fitted with the far stronger 6 speed wet DSG box.

The other thing that is a bit of an issue here in Australia with the Octavia in general  is that the max towball down force is only 75kg and most caravans built here are to American traditions and have about 10% of the trailer weight as towbar down force (1300kg weight would have about 130kg down force).

European spec caravans are relatively expensive here.

Edited by Gerrycan

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 05:58, themanwithnoaim said:

I'd wait a little longer if I were you, one of our European members tows at over 100.

That's a 100 kph by the way lol