CarPlay stopped working

Just recently, it seems that CarPlay stopped working with my iPhone. To be honest, I think CarPlay is pretty useless, so I'm not that upset, but I am curious.

It might coincide with a recent iOS upgrade, but as I generally try to avoid it (by plugging the USB into a dumb cigarette-lighter socket!) I'm not sure.

Is this a known issue?

There were some previous posts, but the Search function is only bringing up today's posts. Teething problems for ColinD I guess.

It might be something similar to this post. Try the infotainment reset - press and hold the power button.

9 hours ago, thewinelake said:

Just recently, it seems that CarPlay stopped working with my iPhone. To be honest, I think CarPlay is pretty useless, so I'm not that upset, but I am curious.

It might coincide with a recent iOS upgrade, but as I generally try to avoid it (by plugging the USB into a dumb cigarette-lighter socket!) I'm not sure.

Is this a known issue?

I'm the complete opposite I think AppleCarplay is brilliant.

Navigation is better than Columbus and all my music through Spotify via the VOX player is great.

Siri is spot on for voice activated phone and messaging.

I'm not comparing CarPlay to Skoda's built-in infotainment, but to the alternative of just mounting the phone (I have a 6 plus) on the dash. 

I use Waze rather than Apple Maps (and the Apple Maps display on CarPlay is less good than that on the native screen). 

Not quite sure what playing music through Spotify via the VOX player even means! 

I'm perfectly happy playing from native Spotify - the CarPlay version seems hobbled. Maybe this is deliberate, to make it "safer". Sometimes, with CarPlay, it seems to make the "wrong" decisions for me when I'm trying to listen to the radio and then navigation wants to tell me something. I must work out what it's trying to do by stopping me listening to the radio!

Siri would be great if it could do more.

Incoming text alerts could easily be improved as well - it can be hard to know they've arrived at all, depending on what CarPlay screen you're on.

Oh, and another thing - you lose the useful stalk controls for phone when in CarPlay mode. Not sure what the rationale for that is?

Wondering about setting up a Wiki at carplaysucks.com!

Edited by thewinelake

My iPhone periodically doesn't work with CarPlay either which seemed to correspond with an IOS update. However, I have found that if I go to the Smart Link in the menu that my iPhone box has become unchecked by itself & it usually works again after being checked again.

• Like 1