Time for a change?

I have owned my 1.2 TSI Elegance since August 2014.  Mileage is now approaching 44,000, and I'm pleased to say that the car has on the whole been completely reliable to-date.  

I'm considering a move to diesel however, as my daily commute alone now accounts for 12,000 miles per annum, and when I combine this with my other driving, I'm realistically looking at 15,000 to 16,000 every year.  So what do I go for? The 1.4 diesels don't interest me, but I'm tempted by the Spaceback in 1.6 form, or perhaps the Toledo (Style Advanced) or Leon.  The Octavia would also be an option.

Interested to hear about experience of real-life mpg's in these vehicles.  Most of my driving will be on fast(ish) A roads, with a little bit of motorway and town traffic thrown in.

•  

31 minutes ago, RapidTrev said:

I have owned my 1.2 TSI Elegance since August 2014.  Mileage is now approaching 44,000, and I'm pleased to say that the car has on the whole been completely reliable to-date.  

I'm considering a move to diesel however, as my daily commute alone now accounts for 12,000 miles per annum, and when I combine this with my other driving, I'm realistically looking at 15,000 to 16,000 every year.  So what do I go for? The 1.4 diesels don't interest me, but I'm tempted by the Spaceback in 1.6 form, or perhaps the Toledo (Style Advanced) or Leon.  The Octavia would also be an option.

Interested to hear about experience of real-life mpg's in these vehicles.  Most of my driving will be on fast(ish) A roads, with a little bit of motorway and town traffic thrown in.

•  

If you care to do the conversion, maybe you'll find this interesting....

Spaceback 1.6 tdi 115hp. Pretty satisfied so far

Screenshot_20170127-150545_resized.png

The older CAYC 1.6 TDI of mine easily delivers less than 5l/100km when driving fast roads (~100km/h), and that's with passengers and A/C always on. I rarely do long trips as I reside on an island, but when I do I really enjoy overtaking and making use of the diesel torque.

When driving in town (always with A/C on) the average consumption can rise to 6l/100km or more, especially if you have a heavy right.

Purely on price I'm arranging a test drive in the Toledo.  The 1.6 Tdi Style Advanced has a great spec and is very affordable new.  I'd be interested to know how any owner's on here have got on with the move from a Tsi (105) to the 1.6 diesel engine?  Is the change worth it in terms of better mpg's?  

Just look on Fuelly. The TDi massacres the TSi on Mpg...but having driven both it also has much more Noise, Vibration and Harshness.

The greater weight over the front does nothing for the handling or ride either.

Indeed the 1.6TDi was far less smooth than the 1990's 2.0 Mitsubishi Diesel I drove to the SEAT dealer in.

But it does do a lot more mpg...