HELP! Alarm is doing my head in....

2015 Octavia III estate owner here with an issue...

Went to lock the car today and the indicators flashed numerous times and then the alarm went off. Every time I try to lock the car it's like it fails to lock then sets the alarm off. 

If I double click the lock button (so the internal sensors don't work) the alarm goes off.

If I leave the car unlocked it auto locks... And sets the alarm off. 

If I turn off the internal sensors from the switch inside the car and lock the car... The alarm still goes. 

If I leave the car unlocked all the interior lights stay on (like a door is open) 

I have open and shut all the doors and boot and fuel cap and they are all definitely shut. I can hear all of the doors locking bar the boot so I think it may be a boot mechanism issue. 

Any idea how to lock my car and not have the alarm going off every two minutes... Or to not have the internal light left on??? I can't take the car anywhere as it would be insecure or have the alarm going off.....

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will assist shortly, but does your maxidot show one of the doors or the boot left open? I've had a similar issue with a non-skoda hire car (think it was a ford) where I'd closed a door with a seatbelt trapped between the door and the door sensor on the chassis, the sensor 'push switch' got pressed into its fitting - in short check that all the door sensors are 'working'.

Internal light - turn it off :-)

Check all the doors are locked (even with the alarm going off) - it really sounds like a door is registering as open to the car, e.g. a sensor fault.

Edit - or possibly battery issues - alarm systems monitor the battery & a battery fault or heavy drain could set the alarm off (but I don't see how or why that would give you the issues with the locks)

Edited by AndyO2
  • Like 1

Just now, AndyO2 said:

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will assist shortly, but does your maxidot show one of the doors or the boot left open? I've had a similar issue with a non-skoda hire car (think it was a ford) where I'd closed a door with a seatbelt trapped between the door and the door sensor on the chassis, the sensor 'push switch' got pressed into it's fitting - in short check that all the door sensors are 'working'.

Internal light - turn it off :-)

Check all the doors are locked (even with the alarm going off) - it really sounds like a door is registering as open to the car, e.g. a sensor fault.

Maxidot shows all of the doors as shut. When you sit inside and try to lock the car the boot flashes up as being open momentarily then shows as shut but the alarm continues. 

I've checked the boot and there is nothing obvious, nothing fouling and nothing loose that shouldn't be. 

Also double checked that the rear wiper and rear washer was working correctly as I'd read horror stories about the rear washer tube becoming dislodged and drenching the Electrics... All in order. 

Not a bad shout about trying all the doors when "locked"  I'll give that a go

The internal lights; the front ones will turn off with their switch. The rear ones interestingly and annoyingly don't have a switch on them (didn't know that until today! Haha) 

"The internal lights; the front ones will turn off with their switch. The rear ones interestingly and annoyingly don't have a switch on them (didn't know that until today! Haha)"

if these are the same as I have, the 'glass' lens 'is' the switch - the 'lens' has a hinge in the perpendicular to the long edge, with the hinge in the middle.

I may have different fittings, so just try pressing the lens in different places & also check the edge of the fitting for "0" and a lit bulb symbol - you may need a torch). They will turn off.

Edited by AndyO2

AA are on route in the first instance and due to be with me within 40 mins of the call

If they can't fix it a Skoda Technician will be on his way down in a couple of hours time. 

I'm pleased with the service so far....

Thanks for the suggestions and help all. I will keep you updated 

AA have just left after nearly 4 hours of tinkering and going through every cable and phoning VW directly. Spotless service. 

Believe it or not a dodgy boot light fitting (the bulb holder) was causing the fault!!! Unplugged the holder and hey presto issue resolved!!! 

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

A bit of a resurrection I know, but useful to understand if a replacement unit fixed it or it was just left disconnected?

I have exactly the same issue with the nearside boot light.

3 hours ago, Andacami said:

A bit of a resurrection I know, but useful to understand if a replacement unit fixed it or it was just left disconnected?

I have exactly the same issue with the nearside boot light.

Check the diode in the light bulb. If the diode is burnt close that causes the issue of signalling open boot.

• Thanks 1

Big thank you to you guys on here. Just got home with the boot full of IKEA goodies and when I locked the car the alarm kept going off saying the boot was open.. I was fearing a main stealer call on Monday but saw your posts, disconnected my drivers side LED boot bulb and is all now happy. I assume one of the boxes hit it on the way home and knackered the bulb/unit. Such a weird issue to affect the boot locking!! 

• Like 1