Brakes / ABS / Speedo Problems

oaksi2

Since I bought my Fabia about 4 months ago I suspected that I might need to have the brakes looked at as they make a bit of a scraping noise when applied during the first five or ten minutes of driving. I guess this is no biggie, just need to replace the pads. Of more concern is the ABS light coming on intermittently, it is usually off when I start driving but comes on at some point and then either goes off again or stays on until I kill the engine. I tested the ABS today by driving at a low speed over some ice and applying the brakes, the car just skidded and there was no sound of the ABS working as normally happens. Does this just mean the ABS is broken or could there be another problem (e.g. electronic) causing this symptom? Is this likely to be an expensive fix?

Also in the last week the speedometer has been acting rather oddly, randomly dropping to about half the actual speed and then catching up again. It only seems to do this when the engine is cold so could be a mechanical issue? (I am not sure if it is a mechanical or electronic speedo). If it is an electronic speedo could this point to a more serious problem with the electrics affecting the the ABS and the speedo, seems unlikely but I know little about this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Your speedo is electronic, using some combination of the outputs of the ABS sensors to calculate your road speed.

A mis-reading sensor (or more than one) would potentially explain both the observed lack of ABS activity and the speedo wibbles.

Could do with a VCDS scan to see what fault codes are logged, which could help pinpoint which sensor(s) are causing trouble.

• Like 1

Thanks very much. Will try and do that this week. Have ordered a cable off ebay and downloaded VCDS lite so hopefully that will work. Will post results when (if) I get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to doing a VCDS scan tonight and here are the results:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2

Monday, 06 February 2017, 20:39:11.

Chassis Type: 6Y - Skoda Fabia I

Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,25,37,44,46,55,56,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine       Labels: Redir Fail!

Controller: 03E 906 033 AB

Component: 1,2l/4V SIMOS3  00HS7002

Coding: 00071

Shop #: WSC 13765

VCID: 60B32383F35B

TMBNY46Y664489699     SKZ7Z0E3134713

No fault code found.

Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes       Labels: 6Q0-907-37x-ABS.LBL

Controller: 6Q0 907 379 AF

Component: ABS 8.0 front   H04 0002

Coding: 0002061

Shop #: WSC 13765

VCID: 817586079811

1 Fault Found:

00285 -  ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)

It seems pretty obvious whats causing the speedo / ABS problem but does anybody know what the engine fault is all about? Slightly worrying!

Many thanks.

It says "No fault code found" for the engine module? That's what you want to see. :)

Have a good look at the wiring close to the ABS sensor before you blame the sensor itself, it would be a shame to buy a new sensor and then find it was a dodgy wire afterwards.  

Edited by Wino

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

It says "No fault code found" for the engine module? That's what you want to see. :)

Cheers Wino, I just wondered what the 'Redir fail' bit meant?

Thanks