The Mystery of the Screen Wash Warning Light

Here is a conundrum for you!

I got my first screen wash warning light last week in 2 1/2 years. I guess it has always been done at the service!

I put in a gallon of Halfords pre-mix as I happened to be passing. That solved it for 24 hours. Since then I have had to top it up twice.

I had surgery last week so I asked my local garage to take a look at it. They said it was a faulty sensor. They haven't changed it. I am not convinced. It goes out when I top it up. Surely it should not have been able to take 2 gallons? No water coming out the bottom. Perhaps it is only while it is moving?

I think I am going to have a look at the bottle before I do anything else. I think it is behind the n/s wheel arch cover? I recall it was in the way when I did my radiator grille after a suicidal pheasant!

I did use VCDS the night before to change and code my front sidelights to LEDs which solved the intermittent RH sidelight warning.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Garnett

Check all pipework urgently, especially to the rear windscreen washer. If a connection has come loose, you may be pumping screenwash into the interior.

I say this because it happened to a colleague's car, a Vauxhall. The screenwash was pumping down the back of the dashboard, through the electrics... £850 later it was recommended she didn't keep filling it up when it wasn't working...

^^^what he said.

With the freezing weather we've been having it's possible your screenwash has frozen in the pipes and potentially expanded and ruptured one of the pipes. It could have happened anywhere so firstly I would visually inspect what you can see, then check that when you use the screen wash that the front and rear nozzles are working and if they are what is the pressure like? Finally have someone activate the washers with the bonnet up and see if you can see any obvious leaks while the motor is powering the pump, check the engine bay from above and below. I would also lift the boot carpet and make sure there is no water collecting in the spare wheel well. Check the passengers side front carpet for and wet/damp spots too. 

That will be high on my list thanks.

i have a good strong flow to the rear screen (estate) so it is not detached. I will see if it is still leaking in the daylight. 

The windscreen washers hers are also strong. I have headlight washers but I would not know about these. Are they driven out by water pressure? I haven't seen them working in a while so I am wondering if there is a bad connection at the bottle for them?

Thanks

Garnett 

Not sure if the MkIII is the same but on the MkII you weren't able to check the washers with the bonnet open.

They automatically disabled to prevent the wipers fouling with the open bonnet.

5 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Not sure if the MkIII is the same but on the MkII you weren't able to check the washers with the bonnet open.

They automatically disabled to prevent the wipers fouling with the open bonnet.

I thought so too.

The headlight washers, you will notice if they're working or not. They will only work with the headlights on obviously and you will see them from the driving seat. there's a considerable spray from them.

I did see a car recently where the low fluid light came on and even after topping up was still on. I drained the bottle, removed the sensor and found it was surrounded by a very shiny black slime which had prevented the water getting to it. So it might be worth a look at that. You should just need to flush out your bottle if that is the case.

1 hour ago, Garnett said:

Has anyone removed a bottle? I think it is behind the wheel arch trim isnt it?

Thanks

It is a little work!

To get the washer fluid reservoir out you have to remove the front bumper and left headlight.

Are you sure about the headlight?

I recently removed my front bumper as I needed to change the grille which is bonded on, I know that to get the bumper off I had to remove the wheel arch and the water bottle to get to the plug. Then the bumper. I did not remove either headlight.

I cant remember if the arch gives enough access to check all the connections and access the sensor. I guess I will find out tomorrow on the ramp!

Garnett

Okay - We have a solution in case anyone else gets the same problem!

The pipe that spigot on the o/s headlight washer had snapped. It remained up in the air so only lost a little water until it found its level. On the flat you could hear water running briefly and eventually finding its way out from under the S%$t Shield as my mechanic calls it. The water droped just enough to trigger the light but no further.

Been hunting for one all day as it looked expensive. Rang breakers everywhere but they only sell with a bumper. In the end I phoned the dealer and it was only £29 pls VAT and here tommorow. Very easy to see if have a pit and only needed the shield off. Not the dreaded bumper again!

I have attached a photo of the bit. The coloured panel unclips if you push the piston out from behind and get somone to grab it.

I think it would have been an MOT failure as Xenon washers are in there now. n/s wasnt working as it also needs the pressure to push it out and spray. My mistake was trying to get the washers to activaite when on automatic. You have to have the Zenons turned on in daytime then it tries to clean them every 5 times you clean the windscreen.

Thanks for all the advice.

Garnett

Broken Headlight Washer.jpg

• Like 3