1.2 8v or 16v?

edwards

I was working on my mums FL 1.2 yeti yesterday, fitting some mudguards and filling the screenwash up. First time I've opened the bonnet on it. Its a 14 plate and appears to have an 8v OHC engine.

Our new FL yeti (66 plate) looks like it has a 16v DOHC engine. Am I right? is this the difference between the 77 and 81 Kw engines that I can see looking back at older manuals?

Its only academic interest really, doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in driving. Just curious!

Yes - earlier engine was 8v and Skoda designed. Later went 16v with a few other changes.

The latter may have a short life as it is being replaced by the 1.0 3cyl turbo in many applications e.g. Seat Attica. Then again VW is upsizing the 1.4 to 1.5 so they could reconsider the 1.2 - following the the 1.4 path with cylinder deactivation etc would presumably result in a 1.25 TSi with 125PS which could be sweet. More likely they will just ship a detuned 1.4...

• Like 1

The later 16V engine pulls harder earlier in the rev range and has a bit more power at the top end. Sounds nicer too.

It also has a completely different dual circuit cooling system with the exhaust ports and turbo facing torwards the bulkhead. This means faster warm up and more economy.

I have both versions sat on the drive. The 110PS 16V unit is a sizable improvement over the 105 8V

Lee

• Like 3