Motorbike in Shed

Chunk11

Okay guys having now sorted out the rear of my house I have now ordered a 10 x 10 Foot heavy duty wooden garage with double doors which will house my gsxr and all other shed related stuff. I have an abba stand which I have used out the front of my house before on paving but am worried that it will break up the wooden floor of the garage over time so was thinking of putting something underneath where the stand might go. Any ideas? Some sheet metal or even half paving slabs? I have got another couple of weeks to come up with a plan as it not arriving till the week commencing 13/2.

Thanks in advance 

You have two issues as I see it:

1) protecting the floor from mechanical damage (prop or centre stand etc.) and from contaminants such as oil, water, road salt.

PirateSyrett pretty well covered that one with the suggestion of  a sacrificial sheet of OSB or similar. I'd suggest 12mm should be thick enough.

2) supporting the floor against collapse due to the point weight under the stand.

Easiest and cheapest is a built-up stack of flagstone pieces or similar to support the floorboards (NOT the floor timbers) where the stand feet will go. You will need to include an anti-damp layer between the stone and the timber such as roofing felt or heavyweight polythene such as Visqueen.

Regards, Mike

Edited by StickyMicky
typo

Gixxer is pretty light and load spread over 3 points of contact on side stand or on a paddock stand, as shed is heavy duty, I wouldn't be too worried about 50kg ish per point beyond something to spread the load off an individual floor board (like another board going opposite way to them. The likes of OSB mentioned about though is the best idea and far better than steel to both spread and soak. I just use a ceramic tile on mine ontop of some lino and have it positioned over on of the board which is supported underneath with one of the sheds joists and directly below that is one of the 4x4's the shed sits on. My new plan for when that shed reaches the end of it's time is to replace it with a 20ft ISO :D

7x14ft

After.jpg

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas guys I will get myself some OSB as this seems like the best idea. I have loads of bits of paving slabs lying around as I have just done my rear garden so can use them for extra support if needed. 

I also have one of those plastic disc things for under the side stand which will help spread a bit of load. 

The bottom of sheds have air gaps to stop the shed floor from getting damp so not advisable to pack under floor,

I got a secondhand shed to keep my ybr in and the floor was shot so got a sheet of 8x4 18mm plywood and made a new floor and it,

Lasted 18 months with bike in a still more than servicable,

Just get a sheet and put it on top of floor in shed and it will be fine