What Car next after a Rapid Spaceback SE Sport ?

My MY16 SB is now 12 months old...  what cars are people looking at as replacements  ?

We are pleased with the SE Sport, ticks all the boxes, but seems daft to maybe change for another one ?

Would say it was daft to change a car you like after only a year for anything, let alone the same again - you'll take an absolute hiding on the depreciation.

Will be holding on to mine for at least 2 more years before flipping. If I stay with Skoda, will probably go for a Low mileage Yeti, or failing that a Fabia Combi. 

Outside of Skoda, I'm looking at the Dacia Duster (now it's available in top spec with a petrol engine). 

50 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

...and you've had French cars before too!

Based on previous experience, if I was to buy another parts bin special I'd prefer the bin to be a VW one than a Renault one :) 

Fair point. I'll probably end up staying VW, but will be interested to see how the reliability stacks up on the Dacias over time. Current figures are good, but the new petrol Duster is an unknown element. 

The other car that was on my radar was the MG6. Very good reliability and great value for money. However, they have stopped making it and there are too few on the road to bank on finding a decent low mileage example when I start looking for a change. 

That is a cert to find a low miles one.  The MG6 must have appealed to Brits even older than me.  Probably only drive it to Waitrose on Saturday & Church on Sunday :)

I quite like it as a car...not sure it deserves the badge, but then neither has anything else since the MGB died.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 3/2/2017 at 23:21, RickTT said:

My MY16 SB is now 12 months old...  what cars are people looking at as replacements  ?

We are pleased with the SE Sport, ticks all the boxes, but seems daft to maybe change for another one ?

Mine (toledo) is nearing 2 years. No plans to change cars in the next 2-3 years.

When its time to change, I'll likely look for an estate for more of that useable boot space. However, we are a one car household, so we need quite a bit of boot space in the one car we do have.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at replacements if the rapid works well for you and your family? Surely it's still within warranty, and selling now would guarantee a big depreciation?

22 hours ago, chrisgreen said:

Would say it was daft to change a car you like after only a year for anything, let alone the same again - you'll take an absolute hiding on the depreciation.

Car is on a 2 year lease, fully maintained, so have zero worry about depreciation.

Has anyone looked at a Kia Niro ? - 

Edited by RickTT

Yes, and since i'm not visually impaired I have to say I dislike it as much as the so called facelift they did on the Sportage.

It looks like the result of a Dodge Caliber having a legover with a Kia Ceed.

Kia interiors look a bit low rent to me too, but generally better designed than than their Hyundai siblings.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I wish I didn't have to worry about depreciation.  I checked if I was in negative equity when I had my first service and i'm at least 3k down at the moment!  I'm stuck with mine for another 2 years before it evens out.

As for what would I replace it with?  I'm looking at Octavia vRS, a Golf GTI and will also look at the new Civic in 1.5 180BHP trim.  I genuinely love the Rapid but I need something faster next.

On 05/02/2017 at 10:38, RickTT said:

Car is on a 2 year lease, fully maintained, so have zero worry about depreciation.

Has anyone looked at a Kia Niro ? - 

Why bother paying for the maintenance on a 2 year lease, its only going to need one service if you're unlucky, should not need any tyres or brakes.

How much extra is the maintenance? I suppose if it really cheap its worth it for the cover....

42 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Why bother paying for the maintenance on a 2 year lease, its only going to need one service if you're unlucky, should not need any tyres or brakes.

How much extra is the maintenance? I suppose if it really cheap its worth it for the cover....

Its fully maintained from a light bulb to full UK / Europe breakdown and Insurance.

All my responsibility is to put fuel in it.

That's the only option through the available lease option i have.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife absolutely adores her SE Sport and recently stated she may look to keep it beyond the length of her PCP agreement

I guess she could just go for the same again if she wanted but I guess that will depend on whether Skoda bring the horrid Octavia front light arrangement across the range, think it will really damage them if they do.

I understand that the rapid is due for a facelift in the next 12 months or so, lets hope the feedback for the Octavia makes them think again.

The new Fiat Tipo looks ok, I've not seen one up close to really speak for it, I guess in the price segment of the Rapid there are a good number of options.

Big Fiat..no no.  Anything bigger than a Punto depreciates horribly.

Its predecessors Bravo, Stilo, Bravo/Brava all did. In fact a mate brought one home Tax-free from a tour in Germany and still made a shocking loss when selling it on.