Stu83's Moon White MK3 VRS 230

stu83

On 21/04/2017 at 17:08, stu83 said:

I think it 'can' happen if there's a new ECU update, but most decent mappers will put the map back on F.O.C in those events.

If you have a map, like shark where you can load/unload the map and the Dealer Updates the ECU can you not just put the Standard map back on, trip to the dealers and when you get home put the Shark Stage 1 map back on.

Does that make sense 

** Other Maps are available from other Companies and different STS type boxes are also available **

33 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If you have a map, like shark where you can load/unload the map and the Dealer Updates the ECU can you not just put the Standard map back on, trip to the dealers and when you get home put the Shark Stage 1 map back on.

Does that make sense 

** Other Maps are available from other Companies and different STS type boxes are also available **

Yep, but it doesn't return it to 'pure' factory due to md5 checksum checking etc ... So even if I flashed it back to the stock map it would still show up as changed.

Hence why I'm not bothering with the switchable map any more, I'm just going with a map from a company I've used before and trust, and who are known for making mechanically sympathetic maps.

Plus the 25% off really helped!

52 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Yep, but it doesn't return it to 'pure' factory due to md5 checksum checking etc ... So even if I flashed it back to the stock map it would still show up as changed.

Hence why I'm not bothering with the switchable map any more, I'm just going with a map from a company I've used before and trust, and who are known for making mechanically sympathetic maps.

Plus the 25% off really helped!

Thanks for that Stu, I understand now...

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a slight delay on my part I'm at Shark today having the VRS remapped.

Dyno'd at 241bhp as standard.

I'll post the before / after dyno maps and impressions later when I get home.

Also had the sound aktuator turned off, and looked into the diff settings. Left the diff as standard for the moment!

• Like 2

And here we have it! Blanked my details out as you can see ...

The car handles the extra power amazingly well - as the dyno readout shows it's gone from 241bhp standard to 288bhp, and from 380Nm torque to 467Nm.

So as standard it was already a fair bit above quoted figures (230bhp / 350Nm).

dyno_shark_zps91eqdhws.jpg

Edited by stu83
  • Like 3

So, driving:

The car drives really well, it's like a VRS++ now, so its testiment to the amazing job Shark have done. It's perfectly controlled, smooth and linear, and doesn't feel like it's too much for the car.

Most of my journey back was on the motorway, so didn't have many opportunities to stretch its legs, but it feels a LOT more eager a higher speeds which is where I felt it lacked before.

Where I did have the chance to 'give it some' it felt a hell of a lot stronger through the gears, overtaking slow moving traffic with ease and making them disappear into the rear view mirror much quicker than expected.

MPG wasn't affected either, actually returned better mpg on the way back than the way there, though obviously over a 50+ mile trip there's loads of factors which can contribute to this.

Massive thanks to the guys at Shark Performance today, amazing work with the map and the free dyno runs! This is the second car I've had mapped with them and couldn't be happier. Much happier with a car that drives brilliantly rather than going after willy-waving figures.

Oh, and look out for my car on their Facebook page - they recorded it on the dyno before tweaking the map further; I think they're posting the video soon.

Next on the list is getting my 'proper' black spoiler fitted. I've taken the black vinyl off my spoiler as it was peeling badly - it now appears that the clowns who wrapped it also scraped a load of paint off it.

Never mind, my Black Magic spoiler arrived today from SuperSkoda, now I just need to find someone to fit it!

• Like 2

Sounds good Stu, I'll definitely check them out for the remap work. I'll be getting the Eibach Pros and full turbo-back Scorpion exhaust fitted in July, so will see if they can do some custom mapping with the added components. Just having a dyno test will be good - interesting to see it's ~240 as standard!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Excellent results Stu, Standard 241 bhp, unto 288

Have you gone for a STS switchable box?

Nope, didn't bother in the end, and quite glad I didn't stump up the extra cost.

It feels standard when driving normally / gently, so I'll just give it the normal mechanical sympathy so as not to massively increase wear.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

Sounds good Stu, I'll definitely check them out for the remap work. I'll be getting the Eibach Pros and full turbo-back Scorpion exhaust fitted in July, so will see if they can do some custom mapping with the added components. Just having a dyno test will be good - interesting to see it's ~240 as standard!

I definitely would - they really know their stuff.

Tempted by the scorpion too, but probably just cat back for me!

And yes, I'm certain they'll do a custom map. It'd be worth getting an improved intake if you haven't already - I think an intake and turbo back exhaust are all that's needed for 'stage 2' on these.

Edited by stu83
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

I'll get a video of before and after, but I will see if I can get some pics and further details if you do want to get the cat-back system.

Yeah, it'll be a few months yet ... 

Got the spoiler to do, plus it needs new front tyres, which will be sped up after the map. And I really should spend some money on other things than the car :-) I did just buy myself the Lego Ghostbusters Fire House, but I don't think that counts.

I had the sound aktuator turned off today to see how happy I am with it as standard.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stu83 said:

And yes, I'm certain they'll do a custom map. It'd be worth getting an improved intake if you haven't already - I think an intake and turbo back exhaust are all that's needed for 'stage 2' on these.

Yes, I got the APR carbon fibre intake put on in February. Got vastly improved response, couple more MPG, and a nice little blow-off noise (not too loud) under hard boost. Highly recommend, but there are also some good VW Racing / other panel filters which offer similar performance gains. (Edit: I've experimented with turning off the actuator, which is good actually. Will likely have it off once the exhaust's on. 'Til then, it comes on when I'm ferrying mates around... 'cz it sounds fun haha)

Ah yes, the 'car parts' monies... I justify it by telling the other half how big the smile on my face is now. And then explain why the part's needed - it's good that she's a car girl, I just need to install a dash cam now to see how much she's ragging it when she's got it ;)

If there's 'leftover' money, I think it will also go on Lego. Because why not!?

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

I saw the FB video yesterday, and the on-screen figures - looked great. Like you said, it's about the power delivery and not necessarily the 'willy waving' figures.

I'm fully invested in using Shark over Revo / APR / Oscarli now, but having trouble finding a Shark dealer with a dyno around my area. Wondering if it's worth going up to Mansfield direct for the custom-mapping, from a trust and quality perspective...

• Like 1

Could be worth it - I think it usually costs more for a "custom" map, but they had the time on Monday to put mine on the dyno etc which was great. That wasn't the final run either, they tweaked it again for the 288bhp / 467Nm figures on the printout.

Can't hurt to ask them though, especially if you've got your intake and a turbo back exhaust as it'll be a proper map for your car.

Edit  : And I did hear them mention to someone that they'll hold the price for June if you book in May.

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my proper black magic spoiler on!

Turns out the absolute numbnuts who badly wrapped my white spoiler unbonded and removed the spoiler to wrap it, then didn't bother bonding it back on again. Kind of did me a favour to be honest as it meant it was dead easy for me to replace it!

20170527_133530_HDR_zps2axdwuxb.jpg

So much better!

It was stupidly easy to do - as you lift up the boot you'll see two hex screws either side in the lip of the boot :

20170527_140646_HDR_zpsvupnz9vz.jpg

As the clowns (sorry, that gives clowns a bad rep) hadn't bothered to do the job properly and rebond the spoiler, it literally just came right off.

If yours is bonded I'll guess you'd need a heat gun / hair dryer to heat the sealant up.

Once removed I cleaned down the surface thoroughly and tried the new one on for size to ensure all was good, then popped out and got some Tiger Seal :

20170527_140617_HDR_zpsykwxvacb.jpg

Used it plentifully as the spoiler doesn't make contact with the car in many places.

Ensured I piped a generous splodge of it around and inside the screw holes to ensure water didn't get in, and filled in some of the gaps as well as I could, then screwed it back on and cleaned up any Tiger Seal from the spoiler and boot lid.

All done, and only took about 10 mins.

Oh, and if anyone wants my Moon White spoiler I'll be putting it up for sale soon once I've cleaned it down and taken some photos. It won't come with any screws etc.

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Super exciting ... Two new tyres fitted. Managed to get Goodyear Asym3s in 235/35/19 for £140 each fitted with a £40 love2shop voucher coming to me soon. Had to book online with Kwik fit of all places!

The 235s fit perfectly and look to give better rim protection. Moved them to the rear so I can get rid of these horrible Pirellis.

Probably won't be much more going on with it now bar some gratuitous cleaning pics over the summer - I've got a wedding to plan and pay for next year now, and I've modded the car about as much as I want to. Even happy with the standard 230 exhaust to be honest.

• Like 1

@stu83 - sounds good mate. I've been keeping tabs on the best tyres to replace the slippy, noisy Pirellis with (although they were ridiculously good in the heatwave we had on a hot B road a few weeks back). 

I'm getting the springs, exhaust, and metal sump fitted end of next month, with the (Shark - based on your review) remap sorted for the weekend after that. Worthwhile expenditure in my view!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ads230 said:

@stu83 - sounds good mate. I've been keeping tabs on the best tyres to replace the slippy, noisy Pirellis with (although they were ridiculously good in the heatwave we had on a hot B road a few weeks back). 

Yeah, I enjoyed the last thousand miles or so on the Pirellis in the dry. Had the Goodyears put on the rear so the fronts are shod with Pirellis still, and with the recent downpour they're absolute ****.

Can't wait to wear them down and get something decent on the front!

Let us know how it goes with the mods, will be interesting to see what power gains you get :-)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stu83 said:

Yeah, I enjoyed the last thousand miles or so on the Pirellis in the dry. Had the Goodyears put on the rear so the fronts are shod with Pirellis still, and with the recent downpour they're absolute ****.

Can't wait to wear them down and get something decent on the front!

Let us know how it goes with the mods, will be interesting to see what power gains you get :-)

Sounds like fitting 235/35's to the Xtremes is a better option than 225/35's if it offers a bit more rim protection and I imagine the ride will be slightly better.

17 hours ago, Superman001 said:

Sounds like fitting 235/35's to the Xtremes is a better option than 225/35's if it offers a bit more rim protection and I imagine the ride will be slightly better.

Yeah, I've not noticed much with the ride as they're on the rears and still have 225's on the front, but you can easily see the extra rim protection. It's a must for the Xtremes, especially at just an extra £5 per corner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@stu83, can you make a photo of rear wheel with 235 on Xtremes? 

Good choice of tires, I am fan of GY, but also this P-Zero doesn't seem to have any issues. Pirellis like very hot weather here (but then again, this precisely could have been the issue in the UK).