Insurance - damage - How to proceed?

Ok so i have never had to claim or even speak to a insurance provider (touch wood), so i am massively inexperienced,

The story goes:

My Misses parks her car on the public highway, same place for 5 years+. Today my misses has returned to her car, and found that a lorry has scrapped along her car smashing both off side windows, excessive dent and scratches to the doors, and massive damage to the center pillar, would be surprised if its not a write off!

So

- we have 1 witness who noted the haulage company responsible, but no registration. My misses has contacted her insurance (Privilege) and they say she needs a reg to pursue a "fault claim" or she will need to claim on her own insurance.

- She has a meeting with the police tomorrow.

Any advise, as she needs her insurance to provide curtsy car, but worried the police will not do much and she will be forced to claim on her own insurance ... is it worth the wait? Any advise would be much welcomed as i and her are new to this kind of horrible mess!!

The driver would have committed the offence of failing to stop at the scene of an accident, they may plead ignorance but  in law the registered keeper has to provide details of who was driving at the time and failure to do so would render them liable to prosecution.

The Haulage Company have an Operators licence and when the Police Officer enquires as to which of their vehicles and driver will have been on that route and may have damaged the car they should be telling the officer and showing the vehicle or at least giving the registration number.

Edited by Offski

I would expect a reputable company to cooperate, particularly if the police can be bothered to investigate.

In Victoria they wouldn't be the least bit interested unless it involved injuries to a person.

Best of luck!

1 minute ago, FromTheDarkness said:

Its a small family business according to google ... 

Then it's all down to the police actually doing something.

I'd be surprised if they do though.

Good news from the meeting, as mentioned the police did contact the haulage firm and they the transport manager has agreed to find out who was working and will provide a reg number. They will contact the police to confirm tomorrow. Credit to Lancashire police.

• Like 1