Concerning rear wiper - noise and glass marking!

Questions for you wagon owners:

1. My rear wiper motor seems really noisy! I can hear it when I am driving, but can't hear the front ones. Is this normal and just down to the placment of the respective motors/mechanisms?
  2. My rear glass seems permanently darkened/slightly discoloured in the areas outside of where the wiper reaches - i.e a rainbow shape around the edge of the glass. I have tried glass cleaner, but can't seem to shift it - anyone else got this? You can easily see where the wiper does and doesn't track when you look at it.

Cheers

Can't say I've really noticed on mine, but then I only very rarely have the rear wiper on any of my cars on permanent or intermittent as there's rarely enough moisture on the back of the car to justify it.  Just flick for a single rear wipe occasionally.

Anyway, probably means you need to turn the music up louder so you can't hear it! :biggrin:

To minimise any of my wipers marking the glass I also clean the rubber of the wiper each time I wash the car.  Gets rid of any loose excess and helps ensure a better and smoother contact with the glass.  Just be careful when you lift any of the wiper arms - you don't get much leeway with the front because of the bonnet overhang, and the rear has the central motor housing which restricts the freedom of movement too.

The front wipers have a maintenance position, which means the blades can be fully lifted from the screen. IIRC turn on the ignition, then turn it off, press down on the wiper stalk. The blades then move to the vertical position. They will return to the parking position if you either drive off or use the wipers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gregoir said:

The front wipers have a maintenance position, which means the blades can be fully lifted from the screen. IIRC turn on the ignition, then turn it off, press down on the wiper stalk. The blades then move to the vertical position. They will return to the parking position if you either drive off or use the wipers.

That's precisely how my Golf does things so I expect the Skoda range does the same, if not something similar.

From the Superb manual I happen to have handy:

Setting the service position
› Switch the ignition on and off again.
› Within 10 seconds, push the lever in the direction of arrow » Fig. 353 and hold for approximately 2 seconds.

Fig 353 shows the wiper arm being pushed downwards.

The wipers should move to vertical and you can move them much further away from the screen then.

I would agree with the OP that by rear wiper is quite noisy on my car & the rear blade scrapes quite hard across the glass when its not fully wet.

I can't say I've noticed a darkening of the rear glass though but I've probably never looked that closely.

I do pressure wash it every week though which maybe helps to keep things cleaner.

• Like 2

I have had the rear motor replaced as it made a squeak when moving, a known fault.

As its an estate the rears get more dirt plasterd to the back of the car from driving,  as there is not a large volume of water, the blade has a habit of clearing the dirt with no washer fluid.  Reason is you cant have a fan jet as the turbulence would make the fan jet miss the rear screen. The only thing you can do is use plenty of screen wash and wash car regularly wash the car.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 10/02/2017 at 23:45, Alpha2110 said:

I have had the rear motor replaced as it made a squeak when moving, a known fault.

Holy thread revival!  Mine was squeeking the other day, then stopped.  Was your replaced under warranty?  Thanks