'No Claims'....... Recorded anywhere?

Tilt

I know proof of your 'no claims' is usually noted on your renewal documents but.............

What if you do not receive a renewal or (more importantly for this query) you do not (or forget to) print the renewal, and therefore do not possess proof of your years earned, the next time you need proof.

Take into account price comparison site usage and sometimes you do not have to prove your years unless / until you need to make a claim.

Is this information held anywhere other than your previous (or current) insurers.

Cheers.

Edited by Tilt

Not to my knowledge. Contacting your previous insurer and giving them the reg and your address should be enough to get them to send out confirmation of accrued NCD.

You might have a jump through a few hoops to "prove" your identity before they'll mail it out but no more so than you have to prove your ID when you call anyone up these days.

Saying that, I just moved my insurance to the RAC and they were quite happy to take my word for the amount of NCD I had accrued - not been asked for any evidence.

• Like 1

Details about the vehicle, registered owner, owners address are held on there but details regarding how long an individual has accrued in NCD would not be. It's a central record of vehicles - not the owners driving record.

26 minutes ago, Mindbomb said:

Details about the vehicle, registered owner, owners address are held on there but details regarding how long an individual has accrued in NCD would not be. It's a central record of vehicles - not the owners driving record.

True - surely there is a record of any claims/convictions available to them though? In this day and age I would have thought that would be a certainty, if not, then it should be really, more so with driving licence details available online as well.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:49, Mindbomb said:

Saying that, I just moved my insurance to the RAC and they were quite happy to take my word for the amount of NCD I had accrued - not been asked for any evidence.

In this case they would most likely require evidence if / when you make a claim. (unless it is recorded elsewhere).

21 hours ago, octyal said:

True - surely there is a record of any claims/convictions available to them though? In this day and age I would have thought that would be a certainty, if not, then it should be really, more so with driving licence details available online as well.

I'm sure they do have any claims made, recorded on the MID. Not sure about the no claims being recorded though.

22 hours ago, LHVRS said:

just contact your last insurance provider and they will email you a copy  

My thoughts were as in Mindbombs case. If you have not had to prove your no claims (for a few years for instance) upon renewal, does your last (current) insurer still take your word for it unproven and give it you in writing including the extra few years added? This would be well open to false numbers of no claims.

I have 14 years this renewal and do not want to lose track of these for obvious reasons, but what if I do not have written proof for a few years is my question. I do not usually print my documents.

Again, bear in mind using comparison sites and this year I have noticed that my no claims has automatically gone to 14 years on the comparison site, however I do not think this would be proof to insurers.

Edited by Tilt

4 hours ago, Tilt said:

My thoughts were as in Mindbombs case. If you have not had to prove your no claims (for a few years for instance) upon renewal, does your last (current) insurer still take your word for it unproven and give it you in writing including the extra few years added? This would be well open to false numbers of no claims.

I have 14 years this renewal and do not want to lose track of these for obvious reasons, but what if I do not have written proof for a few years is my question. I do not usually print my documents.

Again, bear in mind using comparison sites and this year I have noticed that my no claims has automatically gone to 14 years on the comparison site, however I do not think this would be proof to insurers.

The proof is, in 14 years you have held car insurance, in them 14 years you have had no recorded claims on your insurance policies. If you were to be involved in a claim against your policy your current insurer would look into this.

As everything is now connected online and most insurance companies share information or they are sister companies of each other it would be very hard to have a claim and get away with not declaring it. The reason they have not asked for proof in probably because they have access to it already.

This may also be the reason most companies now have a maximum of 5 years discount policy (some are 8). So its not the 14 years they are checking and giving discount for, its the last 5 years, which will much easier to investigate/prove.

Saying all that, your proof if ever asked is your previous car insurance companies no claims record, which should be on your policy docs. This is why its good idea to print them of or download and keep a digital copy just incase they make an error at their end.  

Cheers