Change from Mirror -> Smart Link?

Impulz

Hi All,

I finally picked up my second hand '15 plate Fabia hatch SEL 1.4 TDi this morning, delighted with the car, really pleased with it (will get some pics up over the weekend)

I wrongly assumed it would arrive the same as it reads in the current brochures (smartlink as standard for example) and so found out today it comes with MirrorLink - which to be honest, doesn't seem to ANYWHERE near as useful....

Is there a way for the dealer/myself to add Smart Link to the current stereo system or would it be simply a 'no'?

EDIT**  i cant see anywhere an option to activate it with a code which was a common trend of people paying after the fact to have it activated**

Appreciate this may have been asked before but i couldn't find a definite answer on it from my searches!

Thanks in advance, 

Edited by Impulz

1 hour ago, pab567 said:

Smart Linkiis available from MY16 :( 

Interesting... My Fabia was built 30/09/15... It was registered in 03/16. Carplay and Andoid auto works, but I can't get mirrorlink to work. Is this because it was built in 15?

Not sure, I cant get the MirrorLink to do anything even after downloading and faffing around with the suggested apps.

I tried Android Auto and it plays sound through the bluetooth when on 'media' screen in the stereo, but for obvious reasons, that doesnt show the phone screen on the cars unit.....

Think i will just invest in a new phone holder for the car and go the traditional route, frustrating as i was looking forward to the feature not realising the early Mk3's didnt have it! lol.

17 hours ago, Jedispooner said:

Interesting... My Fabia was built 30/09/15... It was registered in 03/16. Carplay and Andoid auto works, but I can't get mirrorlink to work. Is this because it was built in 15?

If it was built 30/09/15 then it's MY16 as MY16 was manufactured from 30/05/2015. If you have phone that supports MirrorLink and you can't get it working then you should claim it (although I don't believe the root cause is in the car).

Edited by pab567

9 hours ago, pab567 said:

If it was built 30/09/15 then it's MY15 as MY16 was manufactured from 30/05/2015. If you have phone that supports MirrorLink and you can't get it working then you should claim it (although I don't believe the root cause is in the car).

Mine must be MY16 then if it was built after May 2015? Because mine was built end September 2015. TBH I've realisedMirrorlink isn't working on my iPhone as it's not supported. I tried a LG Android auto and it worked well. I guess I might need a mirror link app onthe Android phone for it to work? At least Carplay and Android Auto works so I'm happy with that.

Edited by Jedispooner

On 15/02/2017 at 13:44, Impulz said:

Hi All,

I finally picked up my second hand '15 plate Fabia hatch SEL 1.4 TDi this morning, delighted with the car, really pleased with it (will get some pics up over the weekend)

I wrongly assumed it would arrive the same as it reads in the current brochures (smartlink as standard for example) and so found out today it comes with MirrorLink - which to be honest, doesn't seem to ANYWHERE near as useful....

I have a Fabia SEL 90 petrol bought in April 2015 I have to say the Skoda Fabia was marketed heavily with an updateable Mirrorlink system which was not fit for purpose. Skoda forgot to tell owners there were only about 6 phones that worked with Mirrorlink and it had to be the right model for instance Samsung 

101 worked 101i didn't (not actual phone models) They gave a list of phones but you had to go through them with a fine tooth combe to find the compatible ones which only worked with the Sygic mapping system. As far as I am concerned they abandoned early users of  Mirrorlink Joe

Rant over :)

Ha! i know right.... its a shame as i was looking forward to using Smartlink - not realising the early models didnt have it! (rookie error)

The car is great though, so it has made up for it... i will sort out some kind of phone holder and use the old trusty as i did previously ;)

For what it's worth some of the newer Samsungs do work with MirrorLink. I've not tried using Sygic, but I've tested my S7 Edge with MirrorLink using Spotify with something called RockScout. Seemed to work OK, although the proper Android Auto system is far superior. 

if your car was built before week 22 of 2015, it will not have smartlink. my car was built afterwards in summer of 2015 and i have carplay. It is not possible to retrofit carplay or smartlink. Some people who have complained to the skoda hierarchy had a kenwood sat nav retrofitted as a diplomatic solution, after a lot of wrangling.

There are some other threads about the use of smartlink and mirrorlink. quite a saga.

My car was fine until about 9 months into the new car, since then I have had smartlink problems non-stop. rarely connects to my phone without issue, using sat nav when i need to doesn't happen. spotify is just not worth it as doesn't work. 

Skdoa released this whole bolero/radio unit system without it being ready, that's the crux of it. They wanted it out as fast as possible regardless of problems it might cause the customer. 

I won't be having a skoda after my pcp ends, ill just give it back and start again with another car make.

In my view, after having it now for 16 months, there are so many shortcuts and "cost cutting" measures put in place that it makes the car feel cheap - which it isn't! and as for the radio probelms, skoda don't give care so ill just hang on until i can break from them. 

should be better car, should be better service when people find them out.

Edited by anst11

26 minutes ago, anst11 said:

if your car was built before week 22 of 2015, it will not have smartlink. my car was built afterwards in summer of 2015 and i have carplay. It is not possible to retrofit carplay or smartlink. Some people who have complained to the skoda hierarchy had a kenwood sat nav retrofitted as a diplomatic solution, after a lot of wrangling.

There are some other threads about the use of smartlink and mirrorlink. quite a saga.

My car was fine until about 9 months into the new car, since then I have had smartlink problems non-stop. rarely connects to my phone without issue, using sat nav when i need to doesn't happen. spotify is just not worth it as doesn't work. 

Skdoa released this whole bolero/radio unit system without it being ready, that's the crux of it. They wanted it out as fast as possible regardless of problems it might cause the customer. 

I won't be having a skoda after my pcp ends, ill just give it back and start again with another car make.

In my view, after having it now for 16 months, there are so many shortcuts and "cost cutting" measures put in place that it makes the car feel cheap - which it isn't! and as for the radio probelms, skodadon't give care so ill just hang on until i can break from them. 

should be better car, should be better service when people find them out.

My Fabia Monte is nearly a year old. So far only small SmartLink hiccups from time to time. It all seems to stem with in which order the phone is connected.

If I turn the ignition on and then the engine, wait 30 seconds and connect the phone it is always perfect. If I for instance turn ont he ignition, connect the phone, the phone rings I disconnect to answer it, then re-connect, it rejects the phone until the ignition has been off for 5-10 mins. It's almost like it has to clear it's memory of the previous connection if it's premature to the Bolero turning on.

Strange thinga I noticed  on the radio is that the Carplay icon jumps around on the carousel, sometimes it’s 1 turn left, other times it’s a few to the right.  I guess it proves it’s a pcand it software loads all at once like Windows or something.

Edited by Jedispooner

I have tried every routine under the sun, getting in - ignition- waiting for various lengths of time, warming up the car for 10 mins etc, done it all lots with many combinations of how to do things. Went to dealer and had to have radio software "updated". Worked fine then on for 2 weeks, thought I had solved it,  then back to zero again. 

total ballache i have given up on. for a new car it should work perfectly, regardless of make and price. it's a disgrace. shame on skoda.