lambda sensor location

sdc46

hi,i,m changing my lambda sensor on my skoda fabia 1.4 mpi 2002,were is it located on the front manifold and do i require a special slotted 22mm socket to remove it or can i access the sensor with a ring spanner.thanks.

I posted this pic of the 1.4 mpi front pipe in your other thread. To the left of the pic is the manifold flange. You can see the wires of both sensors in the pic.

imageproxy_php.jpg

I have not changed my sensors yet, so not sure if you would need a special lambda socket, but the back of the sensors look to protrude a long way, and they can be very tight after being there for years. You could cut the wire off the old sensor (only after unplugging it!) to make things a bit easier.

Edited by TMB

It will probably depend on which engine is fitted to that car, I replaced the B1 S1 Lambda sensor on my wife's previous Polo 1.4 16V BBY, I prepared "well" by using this as an opportunity to add a slotted 22mm long socket to my box of tools!  Went to replace the sensor and found that the space between the sensor and the engine block was too short to use my new Lambda socket!  Ended up using two open ended spanners from different manufacturers as space was very tight, so it was spanner(1) one way round to turn a few degrees, then spanner(2) one way round - followed by the same but reversed the spanners!! 

What to check is, is the Lambda sensor end sticking out towards the upper side of the engine at rough 45 degrees or is it sticking down towards the engine block at 45 degrees, if you can see it sticking up when you look under the bonnet, then you might be able to use a slotted socket - getting a heat shield off or loose enough might take a bit of time if you want to avoid shearing its small fixing bolts.

3 hours ago, rum4mo said:

It will probably depend on which engine is fitted to that car,

It's a 1.4 mpi as stated in the first post. That's why I posted a pic of a 1.4 mpi front pipe, which clearly shows where the sensors are.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

It's a 1.4 mpi as stated in the first post. That's why I posted a pic of a 1.4 mpi front pipe, which clearly shows where the sensors are.

Well the OP still asked if he needed to get a slotted 22mm socket, and he did not get that question answered I think, so I'd think I stand to be correct by pointing out that some engines have that sensor pointing roughly upwards and some have it pointing roughly downwards - that is something that he could see from opening the bonnet.