1.2tsi wastegate rattle potential fix

Hi guys, anyone with a 1.2tsi may well know what I'm on about.... 

anyway after much to and fro from skoda when the car was in warranty to getting the Vw garage that's part of the group I work for to check it to be told it's normal they pretty much all do it... 

i decided to try fix it myself! 

Being a tech I'm not afraid to experiment and I'm not sure if it's been done before but the fix for the 2.0tsi wastegate rattle (the spring clip) seems to have sorted it! The clip pushes over and sits fine but I found that the clip had to be turned to the actuator rod to avoid it sticking. I may grind a touch off the clip to sit it further away but so far it seems fine.

if anyone's interested I can post pics and part no. 

nope Nissan. I would be intrested to see this as I went full circle with skoda customer care and they told me it didn't cover my car, the guys at Vw told me the same and pretty much every polo 1.2tsi in the compound/sales pitch does it. 

Also is the Shim not something to do with limp mode and goes between the wastegate and wer it mounts along with a reprogram of the ecu. 

Edited by kmackmontecarlo

Well if it's that it doesn't fix the rattle, it fixed an issue with the light coming on and limp mode, the rattle I have is the same as the 2.0tsi and wer the rod is attaches to the wastegate rod the linkage rattles, the slightest amount of pressure on it stops it, the clip sits around the c clip and applies pressure without restricting movement. As I say I've been around the block with friends who work at skoda and with Vw within the group. 

Ive had my chain replaced even though they said it was a late engine and would be something else rattling. 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...
10 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Dude, the post is FIVE years old, not a chance you'll get a reply. It's not rocket science, just fit the clip.

Btw there's another post where some guy couldn't fit the clip so there's my concern

55 minutes ago, toot said:

This was about a TPI on cars with a 1.2 tsi up to 2012.   Your car is a 2014. 

Problem solved after 2012 wasn't rattle, but wastegate problem itself. It was solved by adding 2mm spacer under wastegate. I don't have any fault codes, just annoying rattle