Roof bars and bike carrier for 2011 RS Hatch

kit

Afternoon :)

Anyone know of anywhere doing any deals on a Thule wing/Aero setup plus bike carrier for an Octy RS hatch 2011? Everywhere I look seems to be a wee bit steep!!

Cheers

Kit

I've used roofbox.co.uk and also compared to roofracks.co.uk and they are line ball. Occasionally, Halford or some other retailers surprise you and have specials. May be lucky coming into spring if you hold out and you keep regularly searching for the part numbers. 

At roofbox.co.uk now, the foot pack, fitting kit and wing bars are £195, bike carriers depends what you go for, but the pro ride 598s are good but are about £95 for 1 or £180 a pair. So with 1 top spec bike carrier that is £280 - not cheap but good quality.

I bought a pair of Atera Giro AF bike carriers with Thule bars as they were a fair bit cheaper as a pair package deal, but not as good as the Thule 598s IMO. 

Halfords over here are doing that pack for 365 euro!!! I might look for one that I can just hang on the back and hopefully not bust the spoiler!!! :(

Cheers

Kit

22 hours ago, kit said:

Halfords over here are doing that pack for 365 euro!!! I might look for one that I can just hang on the back and hopefully not bust the spoiler!!! :(

Cheers

Kit

I've used a Thule rear tailgate mounted units as well.  Not too bad but a bit of faffing to fit and remove for frequent outings. Also, the tailgate access very has virtually no use at all whilst bikes installed and careful limited use whilst rack alone fitted (you might find the rack fowls panel clearances when trying to open).

That was on a mk5 golf with a much more vertical tailgate as well. An angled tailgate, like on the Octavia Hatch may even be harder to deal with trying to load the bikes on and off.

If it is very occasional it my be worth trying. If you plan on using frequently I think you'll have save some pennies / cents for a roof rack and bike carriers. I couldn't live with the roof racks permanently on the car either. Too much wind noise, but fitting was pretty easy after a few times became very proficient at it.  A car with roof rails or fixing points makes rack install even quicker but I doubt you are changing cars to go cycling....

The other thing to keep in mind is that a good Thule rear tailgate bike rack is not cheap either - probably similar money. I know what I'd go for.