My Yeti is finally here. Some questions please.

zuulan

16 minutes ago, zuulan said:

I guess the car knows when the battery is in danger or draining, so limits the power to the 12v socket then.

A couple of years ago I came back off holiday to a flat battery - I forgot to unplug the dashcam :dull:. Not a big problem fortunately, an overnight charge put things right.

1 hour ago, zuulan said:

Just thought I'd report on this socket problem.  I have indeed left the heated seat on all day whilst at work but the car still started fine afterwards, with the heated seat only slightly warm.  I guess the car knows when the battery is in danger or draining, so limits the power to the 12v socket then.

Clever Yeti! 

I think voltage protection is pretty much standard fare across all brands these days.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:57, zuulan said:

Just thought I'd report on this socket problem.  I have indeed left the heated seat on all day whilst at work but the car still started fine afterwards, with the heated seat only slightly warm.  I guess the car knows when the battery is in danger or draining, so limits the power to the 12v socket then.

Clever Yeti! 

Sorry - it's not that clever - you just got lucky. I left my coolbox plugged in overnight once. Next morning car wouldn't start, lots of error messages on the dash, barely enough power to unlock the doors and light the dash.

Just now, 137699 said:

Sorry - it's not that clever - you just got lucky. I left my coolbox plugged in overnight once. Next morning car wouldn't start, lots of error messages on the dash, barely enough power to unlock the doors and light the dash.

Was it the rear power outlet?.

I thought that one was live all the time and not voltage protected........?.

In reply to a few earlier comments regarding modifications - I've enabled both the needle sweep (on start up) and large MPH display using Carista. As stated it is necessary to change region to "Australia", which then enables a further option to display alternate speed in the maxidot.

I've enabled the large MPG display in both my Rapid and FL Yeti and find it useful, given my inability to readily convert Km/h to mph.

Admittedly the "needle sweep" thing is more of a gimmick (photo/video from my Rapid): 

IMG_20170320_174808.jpg

VID_20170320_174537.mp4

Edited by pinkpanther
Added photo/video
  • Like 1

On 20/03/2017 at 11:27, Llanigraham said:

To confirm what 137 says, the sockets are NOT smart, and will drain the battery. Do that too often and you will be buying a new battery very soon.

Thanks for the info.  Maybe I was only OK because the battery is new.

Will have to be more careful in future.

On 20/03/2017 at 13:46, pinkpanther said:

In reply to a few earlier comments regarding modifications - I've enabled both the needle sweep (on start up) and large MPH display using Carista. As stated it is necessary to change region to "Australia", which then enables a further option to display alternate speed in the maxidot.

I've enabled the large MPG display in both my Rapid and FL Yeti and find it useful, given my inability to readily convert Km/h to mph.

Admittedly the "needle sweep" thing is more of a gimmick (photo/video from my Rapid): 

IMG_20170320_174808.jpg

VID_20170320_174537.mp4

I'd love to have that. Looks the same as my old Audi TT display. I just don't have the tech know-how and confidence to mess on with it, especially as mine is actually a lease car so not actually my car at all. I don't even know where the VCDS socket is.