Aftermerket HU Upgrade Question on '56 Octavia vRS

Hi all,

I have read many different posts about upgrading to an official HU, but I have decided against that and now need more specific answers. Long story short the sound from my Stream (via Aux) gives me headaches but due to the amount of miles I drive, I need my music to help me cope.

I am already planning a drastic overhaul later this year which will take me to SQ competition level (I unfortunately have "golden ears"), but in the meantime I want to change the HU as I'm convinced it will improve the sound somewhat. On top of that, I want to control my music through the HU instead as the risk to other road users + penalties to my licence aren't worth the risk.

To keep things cheaper due to the expensive overhaul, I want to get a 2DIN which will then be recycled later in the year to my trackday toy ('02 Civic Type R). My questions for you:

1. Will I need a fascia kit for it to fit? If it's just gaps at the side, I may live without it due to my non-conventional future system ideas...

2. Will I have CANBUS issues? To my knowledge I don't have Maxidot or steering wheel controls, although I do have front and rear parking sensors.

3. If so, will it be hard to fix?

4. Will I experience the battery drain issues people talk about?

5. I'm planning to do this myself to keep cost down so is there anything else I need to be aware of before I start?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tim

Hi,

1. Yes

2. Not necessarily issues but you will lose the pictoral parking sensor information (if that headunit does it) but the beeps should still work.

4. Shouldn't do, I've installed an android unit into my Superb with no battery issues.

5. I did mine in the superb, took about 20 minutes due to having to find locations for various aerials for gps etc.

Hi Chris,

Thanks. Would I be right in saying that this is the fascia I need? The holes for the switches match up with my car:

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-navigation-trim-2004-2008-31876 (part no. 1Z0858069C9B9)

Does anyone know if there is a 1DIN version/conversion? I found some part numbers in an old thread but I can't find any to buy.

Excellent! So the front sensors should still operate via the switch on the dash?

Great. It must only be when installing other VAG units then.

Yes, looking at how easy it is I will likely do it myself. Just don't want to find that the CANbus presents an issue and I'm car-less!

Cheers mate,

Tim

Edited by YouCanCallMeSir
Additional information supplied

Depends on what fascia you have fitted at the moment, I just fitted one to my 09 pre fl VRS and didn't need a fascia, also the canbus on mine is built in and still does the AC readout, doors and I still get the audio option on maxidot and can skip tracks with the stalk (no mfsw).

The parking sensors if they display on the HU now will display on Android.

There are 2 major fitment in 5.1 Androids, 256mm top or 220mm, if you get the right size you don't need to change the fascia.

The one I just installed also has dual Fakra built into the HU so it's a simple plug in OE fitment, also has 3 usbs, there are no adaptors needed also for the quadlock connector it plugs straight in the back. took about 15 mins to fit as it is almost factory apart from screwing on the WiFi antenna and GPS aerial.

If you find the dimensions it will be easier to find a suitable one but I am guessing yours is 256mm if you need a smaller fascia for the one you are thinking of.

No you can get an Android one that fits in your Stream fascia, I upgraded from the Bolero which is the same size as yours, if I went Columbus size I would need a different fascia.

Not all the Androids are Columbus size, as I said there are 220mm units which are Columbus size and 256mm units which are the same as yours, measure the top of yours.

Example of the one I bought which is factory fit for 256mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112241322322?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Example of Columbus sized one 220mm http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Android-5-1-1-car-dvd-gps-player-for-passat-golf-6-Jetta-caddy-sharan-Eos-3048-/121366742267?hash=item1c420584fb:g:vYYAAOSwo4pYZLYH

The 256mm units are newer hence you don't have to get a smaller fascia any more.