Error: Bend lighting (AFS)

Monday morning 'surprise' on dash right after starting the car and driving off.....

Anyone knows if it's worth checking for a loose connector or this is a typical way of sensor failing.

Quick VCDS scan showed the following after driving 100 km with the warning light ON:

5256721 - Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor
          C1036 11 [137] - Short to Ground
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 5
                    Reset counter: 96
                    Mileage: 169200 km
                    Date: 2017.03.06
                    Time: 06:32:24

5256708 - Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor
          C1036 04 [137] - Internal System Fault
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 96
                    Mileage: 169206 km
                    Date: 2017.03.06
                    Time: 06:42:35

IMG_0594.jpg

Edited by aki78

Sounds possibly like a faulty sensor/module or check for any water inside the headlamp levelling sensor? via the wheel arch!

Also maybe check the actual headlamp or control unit, would of thought either sensor or control unit.

Found this aki78 which might help you out

http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?7006230-quot-No-bend-lighting-(AFS)-function-owner-s-manual!-quot-on-dash-but-no-apparent-reason

Edited by BATVANVRS

Hm, the fault disappeared by the end of the workday and AFS is working again.

Switching ignition ON/OFF a few times did't help in the morning so I am still wondering what was wrong...

58 minutes ago, aki78 said:

Hm, the fault disappeared by the end of the workday and AFS is working again.

Switching ignition ON/OFF a few times did't help in the morning so I am still wondering what was wrong...

Maybe some humidity and then it froze and stopped a light from moving?

With that said, I have started my car in up to -30C without that every happening...

• Like 1

Had a similar intermittent issue with my mk2 Octy and resolved it with new level sensor. Most of the time it was fine but occasionally got the dash warning and lights would drop to their 'safe' mode, which was good for oncoming traffic but not good for me!

54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Had a similar intermittent issue with my mk2 Octy and resolved it with new level sensor. Most of the time it was fine but occasionally got the dash warning and lights would drop to their 'safe' mode, which was good for oncoming traffic but not good for me!

Thanks for sharing, hopefully mine won't fail in the near future as I hate sitting and reading newspapers at the dealers. :)

• 2 years later...
On 06/03/2017 at 20:33, aki78 said:

Thanks for sharing, hopefully mine won't fail in the near future as I hate sitting and reading newspapers at the dealers. :)

Hi All,

Well, it seems it got me too, I'm afraid. I have such log:

Address 55: Headlight Range (J745)       Labels:| 7P6-907-357.clb
   Part No SW: 7P6 907 357 D    HW: 7P6 907 357 A
   Component: AFS-ECU       H07 0090  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: --------------
   Coding: 034A02003F000000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00063
   ASAM Dataset: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSMQB 001120
   ROD: EV_HeadlRegulVWAFSMQB.rod
   VCID: 408FF602DB83C54458-8014

Left Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 1T0 941 329 B    HW: 1T0 941 329 B  Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo links  H06 0009 
   Coding: 3E0000

Right Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
   Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 1T0 941 329 B    HW: 1T0 941 329 B  Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: LeiMo rechts  H06 0009 
   Coding: 3E0000

1 Fault Found:
5256725 - Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor 
          C1036 15 [137] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 234
                    Mileage: 188402 km
                    Date: 2019.06.11
                    Time: 20:11:37

Any advice on what it might be? Could it be the level sensor 5Q0512521E?

BR,

Maciej.

1 hour ago, ScoutCJB said:

It's worth disconnecting plug and see if it's damp or whether the pins have gone green (indicating water ingress) 

Are you referring to the level sensor's plug or some kind of plug in the headlight itself?

If the afore one, I would probably give it a try but I have no way to lift the car up high enough to get underneath it. And using a car's jack for this won't do the job (apart of being quite risky to slip in under the car lifted on the jack).

If the later one, then - minding what the pain in the ash the front bumper removal is - I would prefer not to do the peeking into the headlight myself ;)

Anyway, I have to give clear instructions to my mechanics what they should do or what they should replace eventually. Otherwise, they will charge me with a serious amount of money once for trying this and then for trying that... ;)

So, I was hoping that the log would be a clue to pick the right solution for this issue.

BR,

Maciej.

Edited by Gawronik

13 hours ago, Gawronik said:

Are you referring to the level sensor's plug or some kind of plug in the headlight itself?

If the afore one, I would probably give it a try but I have no way to lift the car up high enough to get underneath it. And using a car's jack for this won't do the job (apart of being quite risky to slip in under the car lifted on the jack).

If the later one, then - minding what the pain in the ash the front bumper removal is - I would prefer not to do the peeking into the headlight myself ;)

Anyway, I have to give clear instructions to my mechanics what they should do or what they should replace eventually. Otherwise, they will charge me with a serious amount of money once for trying this and then for trying that... ;)

So, I was hoping that the log would be a clue to pick the right solution for this issue.

BR,

Maciej.

Looking at the fault code its a rear ride height sensor issue - The sensor is on the rear arm somewhere, takes a moment to unplug and check.  When I had an Oct 2 with a similair issue it was water in the front sensor plug.

1 Fault Found:
5256725 - Rear Left Ride-Height Sensor 
          C1036 15 [137] - Open or Short to Plus

On 12/06/2019 at 13:53, ScoutCJB said:

When I had an Oct 2 with a similair issue it was water in the front sensor plug.

Well, I checked the plug - it looks brand new. No water inside, even slightest residue. No green signs of contacts' corrosion. I sprayed the sensor's socket and the plug with Wurth Contact Spray - no effect 😞 The error still occurs.

Any idea?

BR,

Maciej.

On 18/06/2019 at 23:39, Gawronik said:

Well, I checked the plug - it looks brand new. No water inside, even slightest residue. No green signs of contacts' corrosion. I sprayed the sensor's socket and the plug with Wurth Contact Spray - no effect 😞 The error still occurs.

Any idea?

BR,

Maciej.

Just had this fixed on my VRs. I've only had the car for around 6 weeks now, so when the error came up I wasn't very happy. All the bulbs worked fine, but the headlights didn't do the up/down/left/right movement when turned on (well the left/right bit at least)

Took it to my local dealership with a feeling of dread and a possible large bill after reading some of the comments here and following a bit of google searching- I'd bought it from a Toyota dealership and do have a warranty luckily!.

Turns out that it was largely my fault. I'd fitted a dash cam and thought I'd be really clever and use an adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port to power it; having it plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time is annoying as it's in the way.

This then blew a fuse, which threw up the error message, so luckily it wasn't anything more serious. As soon as the adapter is plugged in the fuse blows, without it it's been fine.

Looking at the manual, and the receipt from garage, which mentions a fuse in the dash (the engineer had left when I picked the car up), it looks like it was fuse number 35 (page 253 in the manual).

On 22/06/2019 at 10:54, Gazchant said:

Just had this fixed on my VRs. I've only had the car for around 6 weeks now, so when the error came up I wasn't very happy. All the bulbs worked fine, but the headlights didn't do the up/down/left/right movement when turned on (well the left/right bit at least)

Took it to my local dealership with a feeling of dread and a possible large bill after reading some of the comments here and following a bit of google searching- I'd bought it from a Toyota dealership and do have a warranty luckily!.

Turns out that it was largely my fault. I'd fitted a dash cam and thought I'd be really clever and use an adapter that plugs into the diagnostic port to power it; having it plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time is annoying as it's in the way.

This then blew a fuse, which threw up the error message, so luckily it wasn't anything more serious. As soon as the adapter is plugged in the fuse blows, without it it's been fine.

Looking at the manual, and the receipt from garage, which mentions a fuse in the dash (the engineer had left when I picked the car up), it looks like it was fuse number 35 (page 253 in the manual).

What you want is a piggyback fuse.  This is a sort of holder that allows to fuses into one slot.  

On 18/06/2019 at 23:39, Gawronik said:

Any idea?

BR,

Maciej.

Assume you checked the rear sensor as that's what yours is indicating (and not the front).

On 22/06/2019 at 11:54, Gazchant said:

[cut]

I checked fuses - they're OK. So, it's not the case.

Anyway, thanks for the tip - perhaps it will make a job for someone else :) 

11 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Assume you checked the rear sensor as that's what yours is indicating (and not the front).

Well, I'm going to buy a used one and replace mine. I hope it will help. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2019 at 21:04, ScoutCJB said:

What you want is a piggyback fuse.  This is a sort of holder that allows to fuses into one slot.  

I'll order one instead. Don't suppose you know the best fuse to piggyback from? 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2019 at 22:37, ScoutCJB said:

They .should be cheap enough.  I had to replace the front one on the Wife's Cooper S and I got one used for £25 ..... new they were over £100

I've done as I said - I've replaced the sensor. I've managed to buy at the bargain price (~10 quids) a brand new sensor 5Q0 512 521 J. Actually it wasn't meant for Octy3 but for golf7/touran/superb/etc. However, its main part (a sensing module no. 5Q0 907 503) is the same as the one in Octy. So, I've dismantled it, then I've dismantled my old one and put together one fully functional. Then I've mounted it to my Octy. The error of Bend lighting (AFS) has gone at once and an annoying orange triangle has disappeared off my dashboard :) I've just needed to clear errors logs using VCDS and then I've done headlights adaptation. That's it :)

Edited by Gawronik