Checked motor - it was not working very well, i bought another, OK

Checked wiring, seems OK

I told them about the bonnet switch OK

Now they want me to buy this part:

6Q1937049F
S2536
5wk48217
Siemens SME Control Unit

But I am not completely sure this is the problem. Moreover I found one in Ebay from a Polo, and they say probably it has to be reprogrammed. 

Any help? Any idea?

How can I check myself the bonnet switch?

How can I check the fuses? I saw that in Mk1 it was a different fuse. But in the garage tested ALL the fuses.

How could I check is the SME Control Unit?

It's a second hand car, I don't know previous history of the car.

You need to have a scan through VCDS to look for problems. There is an option in VCDS to actually run the wipers through the VCDS computer interface, actually did this Monday as I had a problem with the intermittent wipers but on my Mk1 Fabia - I think that I picked central electrics module and then there was an option to run tests which allowed intermittent, slow and fast wiper speeds to be run - someone more used to VCDS will be able to advise exact option, which may check for column stalk problems.

The link below may be what they are suggesting for the control unit programming, but you would need an identical part number and you may not be able to upload settings of your existing unit it it is damaged, plus there are key coding issues etc. Therefore it is not something I would take too lightly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/169586-vw-polo-diy-upgrading-bcm-body-control-module.html

Also check this post, while in the Mk1 section, may be relevant.

I think they checked the stalk with the VCDS.

I also checked before posting about the fuses in that thread but it's not the same fuse, they suggest another one, but I could not find the problem there. 

That's why I was asking for any insight about fuses other than that post.

Yes, I also beleive that this BCM thing is not a minor issue, that's why I want first to discard any other problem.

Thank you very much for your help

Fuses 26 and 44 look to be the ones you should check. Take them out and see if the metal between the contacts is continuous or melted open.

The BCM contains a couple of relays soldered to the PCB, which operate the wipers in the various modes.  I think if you bought a secondhand BCM with exactly the same part number it may just be a straight swap in. New one will be big bucks I'd think. I thought the key/immo code stuff was resident in the instrument cluster module, not the BCM? Pretty sure that's the case in a mk1.

Hi Wino, I will check the fuses myself, although I trust the garage on this, and they told me again today they were ok

I found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Q2937049F-POLO-FABIA-BODY-CONTROL-MODULE-ECU-SKODA-VW-SEAT-CCM-CONVENIENCE-/272534215630?hash=item3f744e1bce:g:ydAAAOSwNnRYiIsl

But my numbers are  6Q1937049F  and  5wk48217

And that part in ebay has the same part number, but 5wk48218 which it looks like a newer revision.

I understand this one could fit my car, what do you think?

Thank you

• 6 months later...

So I bought a Polo unit, and everything worked fine with the wipers, but just to warn you, my A/C is not cooling anymore. I can't tell if they forgot to connect anything or just it does not work changing from one brand to another. 

But anyway in UK, I don't need it so for me it's fine