Skoda connect, and wifi or mobile connection.

Who knows what about these things.

what actually comes as standard with a Kodiaq SL. 

do they all have connect?

does the Columbus have an interject connection as standard ?

wifi sharing ?

• Like 1

I wouldn't swear on it, but from what I have read I believe it uses your phone for the internet. From pics I have seen the DVD unit has a Sim card slot so you might be able to do it that way too.

I think the emergency assist is functional as standard, sure I read that somewhere.

Edit - From the user manual:

Data connection via WLAN

Data connection using the SIM card in the external module (applies to

Infotainment Columbus)

Data connection using rSAP (applies to Infotainment Columbus)

Data connection using CarStick (applies to Infotainment Columbus,

Amundsen)

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 1

I had a look on the Uk configurator and there is no SL but if it is on the Ireland page then simply click on your model and on the first step you will find an "i" on the lower part, click on that and it gives you all what is standard.

What is standards and what is added/upward specced on the UK trim levels is on page 8 here : UK Brochure

According to that, all UK Kodiaks have Care Connect.

The UK dealers seem to like to do a fwe things differently. They take the Skoda core trim levels that the factory builds (Active, Ambition and Style) and add some differing options to those to create their own names.

From what I can see, The UK "S" is an "Active". The "SE" and "SE L" and "SE Technology" seems to be an "Ambition" with differing options added. The "Edition" seems to be a "Style".

• Like 1

You can alwasy use your phone as a internet hotspot in Amudsen and Columbus.

Additionaly you can purchase 3G carstick and use your own SIM.

Columbus has an expensive option to include its own 4G mobile module with SIM slot. Additionally it can 'attach' to your rSap-compatible phone and use its SIM over bluetooth.

Only proactive services are using its intrgrated SIM.

18 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

What is standards and what is added/upward specced on the UK trim levels is on page 8 here : UK Brochure

According to that, all UK Kodiaks have Care Connect.

The UK dealers seem to like to do a fwe things differently. They take the Skoda core trim levels that the factory builds (Active, Ambition and Style) and add some differing options to those to create their own names.

From what I can see, The UK "S" is an "Active". The "SE" and "SE L" and "SE Technology" seems to be an "Ambition" with differing options added. The "Edition" seems to be a "Style".

It isn't the dealers, it is the importer that defines the specs and names i.e. Skoda UK

8 minutes ago, andyvee said:

It isn't the dealers, it is the importer that defines the specs and names i.e. Skoda UK

You're right - I should have said Skoda UK.

4 hours ago, romanv said:

You can alwasy use your phone as a internet hotspot in Amudsen and Columbus.

Additionaly you can purchase 3G carstick and use your own SIM.

Columbus has an expensive option to include its own 4G mobile module with SIM slot. Additionally it can 'attach' to your rSap-compatible phone and use its SIM over bluetooth.

Only proactive services are using its intrgrated SIM.

What?

does this mean if I have a Columbus I get the services or is it still an optional extra.

4 hours ago, romanv said:

Skoda Connect is represented by three services:

a. Emergency Call + Proactive Service (13 years for free)

b. Remote Access Service (1 year for free)

c. Infotainment Service (3 years for free)

Check that link below to see what each one contains:

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/connect/availability-list/

And how how much are they after the 1 year expires ?

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de%2Findex.php%3Fthread%2F236-infotainmentsysteme-swing-bolero-admunsen-u-columbus%2F%26postID%3D6514%23post6514&edit-text=

Remote Access (remote info, alarm) ... first year for free and then 95€ for next 2 years (4€/month)

Infotainment (maps + Google earth + other info) ... three years for free and then 75€ (6.25€/month) for another year or 120€ for 2 years (5€/month)

I have spent ages on the phone to Skoda UK trying to get to the bottom of what the four Options listed offer.

Along the way I find that there are no direct comparisons between the four trims offered in the UK and the three trims offered to much of the EU. The Finnish SEL had different spec to that advertised for UK and Finland also has 4 trim  types.

I have also been told the contracts applicable to the infotainment etc are different in the UK. I am still waiting a definitive reply.

But in the UK, it seems Care Connect relies on the vehicle's inbuilt SIM and the service is offered for 14 years FOC. They can't tell me what happens after that - Perhaps the car is not supposed to last any longer!

The four related mentions on the Options list are:

Care Connect 1 year and Infotainment Online 3 years £0 -This is misleading. To start with it cannot be selected without choosing one of the three below, and in its deeper description (press ?) it states it will last for 14 years. But you also find that it states the interactive services (eg Honk & Flash) are for 3 years and I believe should be included under Infotainment

3 years infotainment online £500 - Perhaps the most straightforward of the lot. It provides services such as fuel prices , parking availability etc, but relies on a third party internet connection (your phone) to get the required access. HOWEVER the Brochure states the SEL has Infotainment online as a standard ! !

3 years infotainment online with phone box £750 - As said, the SEL is supposed to come with Infotainment so £750 is an expensive phonebox ! ! I haven't yet received a sensible reply as to what a Phonebox does.

Bluetooth with LTE and wireless charging £750 - I am lead to believe Bolero, Amundsen and Columbus all come with Bluetooth so a mention here seems to be redundant. The Edition also comes with Wireless Charging, so for that trim even more redundancy. The difference here is that this option comes with its own inbuilt phone system / LTE module and a SIM card slot. So stick a SIM in there and you have the same connectivity as if you had your own phone with you. 

There are no details available as to ongoing charges for all this in the UK after the initial 3 years, so stick your head under the guillotine and hope.

Anybody feel any wiser?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, YetiGirl said:

I haven't yet received a sensible reply as to what a Phonebox does.

Provides a location for Superman to change  :D

As far as I am aware, it amplifies the signal for you phone by using the car antenna.

Edited by Mr Grump

On 18/03/2017 at 17:22, YetiGirl said:

3 years infotainment online with phone box £750 - As said, the SEL is supposed to come with Infotainment so £750 is an expensive phonebox ! ! I haven't yet received a sensible reply as to what a Phonebox does.

Bluetooth with LTE and wireless charging £750 - I am lead to believe Bolero, Amundsen and Columbus all come with Bluetooth so a mention here seems to be redundant. The Edition also comes with Wireless Charging, so for that trim even more redundancy. The difference here is that this option comes with its own inbuilt phone system / LTE module and a SIM card slot. So stick a SIM in there and you have the same connectivity as if you had your own phone with you. 

There are no details available as to ongoing charges for all this in the UK after the initial 3 years, so stick your head under the guillotine and hope.

Anybody feel any wiser?

I share your pain with trying to work out V.A.G.'s explanations. Been looking at various cars in the group & the whole thing's neither clear nor consistent across the brands.

It's very odd as the VW Tiguan appears to offer no LTE or rSAP options - leaving owners to live with mobile hotspots permanently enabled or having to remember to enable/disable each time they get in/out of the car.

In the case of the Kodiaq it almost seems (& I stress this is purely speculation here - I'm probably wrong) that Skoda have, for the Edition model, taken the opposite approach to VW & supplied all the hardware for LTE / rSAP as standard and the options are just synonyms for the (IMHO over-priced) subscriptions (i.e. it's £500 for 3 years infotainment & £250 * for the phonebox).

If I am correct (& there's a very high possibility that I'm not), my observations are as follows:

• £500 for 3 years is an obscene sum to pay for a subset of info(otherwise freely available via the web) just because it's squirted through a Skoda portal. Use Android Auto & you'll get the same (+ some) info & the ecosystem will continue to evolve & keep pace.
  • £250 for a phonebox can be money well spent. A lot depends on your phone's reception but big things to consider in a car are:
    • Heated windscreens can negatively affect phone reception.
    • Panoramic roofs can positively affect phone reception.

Just seems a pity that the one thing the Kodiaq doesn't seem to have, as standard, is a phonebox * & you can't just pay £250 to get one on it's own. The cynic in me says this is no accident - the new business model is to force people into subscriptions :angry:

* P.S. Edit. Just had a look at the online brochure & see that the phonebox is listed as standard for Edition - even more confused now.

Still believe that the LTE etc. options are really subscriptions though as selecting these grey-out the separate subscription option. Whole thing appears a mess - think I'll wait until 1st cars are with their owners :D

Edited by Skoda Al Coda
See *
  • Like 1

I'm so glad I have no interest whatsoever in any connectivity with the outside world when I'm driving / riding.

DAB radio will be enough progress for me :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the people in this thread for making the effort to find out what the heck these different things are. I have looked on the configurator and in the brochures for both the Kodiaq and Superb and have been absolutely baffled as to what the different options entail. You'd think if they're trying to entice you to drop 750 notes on an optional extra, they'd make clear what it is that you're actually paying for!

• Like 1

So had a play in a car today, and to use Android auto you need a USB connection to your phone, So will the 3 years online provide its own SIM and thus bypass the need for the USB connection and also give an always on data connection within the car rather than using the hotspot from your personal mobile device. That would help explain the additional cost involved.

That would also help in downloading map updates and the like

Not getting my own car till May 15th so can't do some serious playing till then

I registered + connected to Skoda Connect as it's free for 12 months. Nice gimmick.

I have virtually no need or interest in using my phone apps in my car. Playing music and receiving making / taking the odd phone call is about my limit.

The nice gimmick part is effectively having a tracker as I can see where the car is, if it's locked or got lights on, distance travelled and other trip data for each day, fuel range, service due miles and time, actual miles and for fun I can honk my horn and/or flash my lights.

Will I pay for it after year 1? I doubt it.

. . . and I can confirm that the Skoda Connect eMail arrives in your inbox a few minutes after your car alarm triggers.

Silly old me forgot to press the internal alarm sensor bypass button on the return leg of a short trip and the ferry "vibes" triggered a number of vehicles as we docked.

• Like 2