Suberb Sportline - Options

Hi all,

I'm just about to go ahead and order a Superb Sportline 2.0TDi 190PS DSG Hatch.

It will be on a PCH deal so I'm trying to avoid additional options as they get expensive (in effect they need to be paid for over the period of the lease) but would welcome any thoughts on must-haves, or low cost items that will allow additional functionality via VCDS etc.

I think I will go for the rear wiper (no cost option) but should anything else should be on my shopping list?

Difficult decision the old options list.

I have just collected a Combi 280 L & K.  I still optioned a few bits.  I thought about a Sportline but I wanted a bit of a sleeper and there were a few toys on the L & K that if I took a Sportline and put the options on I'd be up at the same price and still be short of equipment.

For example.  If I had a Sportline DSG diesel I would certainly go for the following.

Not tried the heated windscreen yet but would add that.

Light assist is fantastic but cheap on an L & K but seems expensive on a Sportline.

Temporary steel spare wheel

Heated windscreen washer jets (cheap and useful)

DCC is nice and would sit nicely with the Sportline.

I don't want to put a cat among the pigeons but have you thought about a 220 instead of the 190 diesel. What with all the press on diesel engines at the moment.

Will only get worse thats for sure ;)

Edited by RGKTSi
  • Like 2

IMO there's only two must have items to spec:

Front parking sensors - the Superb is a big car and unless you're sitting on the roof you can't see the end/corners of the front end. 

Temp spare wheel - Rather this than a sealant kit

Everything else I opted for was to suit me and my needs/diva requirements:

Canton - I spend a few hours in the car every day and enjoy my music.   Really pleased with it so far

Heated screen - Nice for early starts in Winter and also quickly de-misting the screen. 

Heated front seats - Winter convenience but actually the Alcantara seats are nowhere near as bad as leather on a cold morning. 

Heated washers - Again, a Winter convenience

Power tailgate - After having shoulder surgery last year and now the onset of arthritis I opted for this; the hatch is heavy and opens quite high. 

Traffic Sign Assist - Doesn't really add any benefit but gives me the front facing camera (for £85) so that I can enable High Beam Assist which I had on my previous car and it's great, particularly on unlit rural roads.  Lane Assist can also be enabled

Rear wiper - Spoils the lines of the car at the back but after owned a car without one in the past I personally think they're essential. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the advice.

With regard to engine choice I do 15-20K miles per year so need to stay with diesel really. Its a lease deal so at least I won't need to worry about residuals if the government make changes that destroy the used values of diesel vehicles.

For options....

Rear wipe - agree its needed so its on the list

Traffic sign assist - was on my list and certainly if it opens up other possibilities I think I will go for it.

Temp spare wheel - can I buy a temp spare wheel from the dealer at the same price as speccing it as an option? At least then its mine and I can sell it on at the end of the three years.

Front parking sensors - would love them but I nearly always reverse park. £10 a month just to save me getting out and having a look occasionally is harder to justify.

Finally I think the colour is going to be Quartz Grey metallic. Would love Dragon Green but its in lieu of a company car so don't think I can get away with it.

I asked the same question of the supplying dealer regarding the spare wheel.  It's more expensive to do it that way as you also need the jack/tools to go with the spare too, the dealer price was ~ £165 (IIRC), whereas it's £100 as an option. 

Don't discount the 150ps diesel.  I've gone between the lower and higher output VAG diesel's in my last few cars and the 150ps is my favourite;  smoother, less agricultural and more economical. It also doesn't have as much noticeable lag in the throttle response.  I think it's also suits the 'character' of the Superb really well.  

I tried the 190 and 150 back to back and only at the top end and/or really working the revs did I find the 190ps offered any benefit.   

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Don't discount the 150ps diesel.  I've gone between the lower and higher output VAG diesel's in my last few cars and the 150ps is my favourite;  smoother, less agricultural and more economical. It also doesn't have as much noticeable lag in the throttle response.  I think it's also suits the 'character' of the Superb really well.  

I tried the 190 and 150 back to back and only at the top end and/or really working the revs did I find the 190ps offered any benefit.   

Quite astonishing acceleration between 40 and 70 too, which I find very reassuring when I come to overtake on a major A road. Really took me by surprise... It's the most important part of the acceleration range for me, as much of my driving is on rural A roads with very few safe overtaking sections.

• Like 1

I too agree with Penguin17 comments. I test drove the 150 & 190 back to back & felt the 150 more than adequate plus £1000 cheaper & no adblue. Traffic sign assist at £85 a must & factory spare wheel.

• Like 1