Roof box length for Yeti?

I'm in the process of working out what roof box to order and need some help on box lengths. 

I'm looking at the Kamei Corvara boxes, either the 390 or the 475. At 75cm wide these give me space for bike racks still. The length is where my uncertainty is though.

The 390 is 190cm long, the 475 is 230cm long. I know that the 1.9m box will sit around level with the top of the windscreen, the 2.3m box obviously going a lot further forward. 

Does anyone on here run a 2m plus roof box? If so, how do you find it? Do you have any pictures? Any issues with running a box this long?

Only comment I can make is that the (Halfords) Exodus 390 which is 1.9m long requires the radio aerial to be removed and the boot hits it when it's open. fitting a longer box would be slightly worse, though I suspect it would be fine

Slightly unrelated but hopefully useful info especially if you've got long loads/boxes. I have whispbars on my Yeti which IMHO look great compared to the standard Skoda jacked up bars, HOWEVER be aware, as has been pointed out here, with similar aftermarket bars, you can't open the hatch with a long load on the roof. According to a colleague of mine who runs the Skoda bars, as they're raised they allow the hatch to open as norrmal to clear long loads! I never realised that when I bought mine -good job I rarely need them! Even with Skoda bars, if your roofbox has recesses for the bars to sit in, it'll lower the box enough to interfere with the hatch operation. Something to bear in mind though.

Hello 5678

i have a 2m long Thule roofbox and I don't find it too long. It's 80cm wide meaning I still have space on the Skoda bars for  2 additional skis. 

Were I to buy a new box I would maybe get a slightly shorter one but higher for added flexibility. 

I'm traveling at the moment so can't link a photo but there is a Thule tread here with pictures of my setup. 

Take care. 

On 21/03/2017 at 10:53, bargee1759 said:

Slightly unrelated but hopefully useful info especially if you've got long loads/boxes. I have whispbars on my Yeti which IMHO look great compared to the standard Skoda jacked up bars, HOWEVER be aware, as has been pointed out here, with similar aftermarket bars, you can't open the hatch with a long load on the roof. According to a colleague of mine who runs the Skoda bars, as they're raised they allow the hatch to open as norrmal to clear long loads! I never realised that when I bought mine -good job I rarely need them! Even with Skoda bars, if your roofbox has recesses for the bars to sit in, it'll lower the box enough to interfere with the hatch operation. Something to bear in mind though.

By hatch, do you mean the sunroof ?

To update this for others reference in the future...

Ive got the Thule foot pack with 135cm (the size up from the Thule suggestion) wing bars. These fit fine. 

Move just fitted a Kamei Corvara 390 and 2 x Thule pro ride bike racks easily. I think I could squeeze a third bike rack on too. 

With the bars bars at the very front of the mounting points, the box is clear of the aerial and rear hatch. The box does not even reach the top of the windscreen like this (1.9m box)

The supplier has a 90 day exchange programme so I'm going to test load it this weekend and see if everything fits. If not I'll exchange for the Kamei Corvara 475 (2.3m box)

Hopefully this may be useful for someone in future!

Edited by 5678

Dont forget the max roof load on a yeti is 100KG, and that includes the cross bars, the empty box and your 2/3 bike racks and the bikes  ... so the crossbars, and bike racks are approx 6KG each + the roof box, prob about 20KG, so with 3 bike racks and the cross bars, you are at approx 40-45KG, add 3 bikes @ 15KG each, that only leaves 10KG'ish for the contents of the box, so take care you dont over load the roof, remember its only 100KG max load weight.

Tbh, if I go over it the weight limit I'm not going to lose any sleep. 

Im sure the doors aren't going to fall off if I load it with 110kg. 

People worry too much. 

2 hours ago, 5678 said:

Tbh, if I go over it the weight limit I'm not going to lose any sleep. 

Im sure the doors aren't going to fall off if I load it with 110kg. 

People worry too much. 

It isn't that the doors will fall off, though, it is also the effect of altering the centre of gravity of the car, affecting it's stability and the safety of both you, your passengers and others. People worry for a reason!!

That's quite a leap for an extra 10kg ;) maybe the doors won't fall off but instead I'll topple off the road in a ball of fire?

Thanks for your concern, but I'll leave to worry about this than do it myself :)

^^^ Never worry.

If you do ever have a crash even if not your fault but people have life changing injuries some of the load on your roof might not get gathered up and the Crash Investigator or Insurance Loss Adjusters might never come to the conclusion you were overloaded up top.

No soap on a rope needed, no sleepless nights or an Insurance Company voiding your claim.

That stuff is all too far fetched and just internet scare stories.

Edited by Awayoffski

40 minutes ago, 5678 said:

That's quite a leap for an extra 10kg ;) maybe the doors won't fall off but instead I'll topple off the road in a ball of fire?

Thanks for your concern, but I'll leave to worry about this than do it myself :)

Who said I'd worry about you or anything you do in this matter, was just pointing out that you were potentially close if not over the roof limit.

Its always your choice in the matter, so feel free to "fill yer boots" ...... :)

Good choice with the Corvara box, we've used a Corvara 390 Duolift for about 7 years now, still going strong and never let a drop of water in despite some atrocious conditions at motorway speeds. It's surprising how much you can fit in it - I'm sure it's bigger than it's "official" size.

I doubt you'll topple off the road in a ball of fire, but you'll probably notice some difference in handling.

I've never used the box on a Yeti, and never had bikes on the roof at the same time, but on lower down cars such as our Mondeo estate and more recently, our Superb 3 estate, you do notice some extra lean and understeer when cornering with a loaded box on the roof.

On a Yeti the effect will be even more noticeable as the weight is higher up, especially with bikes on.

So just take it easy in the bends at first and get a feel for it :)

Try and keep heavier stuff low down in the car, and all the light fluffy stuff in the roof  (you'll naturally do this anyway as it's a pain lifting heavier stuff to a height...). I usually fill our box out with stuff like kids beach toys, footballs, folding chairs etc that all take up room but don't weigh much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 5678 said:

...Thanks for your concern, but I'll leave to worry about this than do it myself :)

Really?

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

^^^ Never worry.

If you do ever have a crash even if not your fault but people have life changing injuries ...

"...If I go over the speed limit...use my mobile...have a couple of drinks...it's my own risk, not yours." 

Really? 

Edited by Brijo
Incompetence, too early in the morning. "Really" was in totally the wrong place, Apologies.

No! really, as you well know,

those that do as they please put other road users and just anyone at risk.

I was being sarcastic, or attempting to be.

PS

Picking one line to quote to suit your attempt at ridicule does not work.

Edited by Awayoffski

1 hour ago, muddyboots said:

Good choice with the Corvara box, we've used a Corvara 390 Duolift for about 7 years now, still going strong and never let a drop of water in despite some atrocious conditions at motorway speeds. It's surprising how much you can fit in it - I'm sure it's bigger than it's "official" size.

I doubt you'll topple off the road in a ball of fire, but you'll probably notice some difference in handling.

I've never used the box on a Yeti, and never had bikes on the roof at the same time, but on lower down cars such as our Mondeo estate and more recently, our Superb 3 estate, you do notice some extra lean and understeer when cornering with a loaded box on the roof.

On a Yeti the effect will be even more noticeable as the weight is higher up, especially with bikes on.

So just take it easy in the bends at first and get a feel for it :)

Try and keep heavier stuff low down in the car, and all the light fluffy stuff in the roof  (you'll naturally do this anyway as it's a pain lifting heavier stuff to a height...). I usually fill our box out with stuff like kids beach toys, footballs, folding chairs etc that all take up room but don't weigh much.

A sensible, non-passive aggressive reply, Thank you ;) 

Some of the replies here are just comical. Let's not turn into some sort of crusade for justice. 

I note the load limit. I don't think I'd ever top it, I'm just saying that relatively, there are bigger things to worry about. My big bike is 12kg, the wifes bike is 11kg. The kids bikes even less (but wouldn't be on the roof.) My undercrackers are large, but I'm not sure I'll hit 50kg with them...