Greeting from the Octy III forum, thinking of a Superb III 1.4TSI

Hello,

Currently driving a 2.0CRDI MKIII Octavia Elegance Estate. Thinking of upgrading a 59 plate Kia Rio to a second hand Superb to go with the Octavia.

I found a 150PS 1.4 TSI SE Superb for around £17K - registered in Maidstone, on sale up north in Liverpool. A few questions if anyone can help please:

1) If the car has ACC - will it have front assist?

2) There are a couple of lemon Octavias mentioned on our forum, that has gone back to the dealers. I wonder if any of the 1.4s have had a similar reputation here, did a quick search but couldn't find anything? 

3) Does that sound a reasonable price to you all for 13.5K miles?

4) Anything to look out for?

Cheers!

Check the brokers - without trying too hard looking you can buy a brand new one of that spec for £20k - I'm sure cheaper could be found. The 1.4 ea211 is a great engine

Edited by bigjohn

I've got a 1.4 TSI SE L Exec and it cost £22k flat - my local dealer matched the broker price.  The engine is great - plenty of power and really quiet.

I'm sure an SE with metallic paint will come in at about £19,500 from a broker like carfile.net.  A £2,500 premium to go to a new model is worth it I reckon.

I don't think the car will have Front Assist necessarily, but I may be wrong.  

I second the advice of Walrus. I used Carfile and was very happy. I reckon they are the cheapest broker around and the cars are dealer sourced.

Edited by facet edge

13 hours ago, lpt100 said:

1) If the car has ACC - will it have front assist?

Front Assist is standard across the Superb III range irrespective of ACC.

Even a no-frills bog-standard brand new Fabia I was given to use as a courtesy car had it.

1 hour ago, walrus said:

BillyJim - regarding Front Assist - is this simply the system that warns you when you're too close to the car in front?

No, that's just an advisory that you're travelling too close to the vehicle in front.

All Superb III have the full blown monty Front Assist for detecting an impending impact. Red warning display, screeching buzzer, application of brakes if you don't react, full automatic braking if you still don't react.

And it frightens the juice out of you when it first goes off :D:D

No I didn't! It went off as I approached a roundabout and moved to lane 1 of 3 on the approach. I must have looked very strange to the other drivers if they were looking; with a sort of wtf look on my face and peering hopelessly at the dash to work out what the hell was going on. Lesson--rtbm properly.

Edited by Sagalout
typo

Took delivery of a 1.4 TSi 150 PS SE on 1st March, brand new from Carfile.net.

Basic price was about £18500, metallic and a few extras pushed that up to just over £19000. Would I pay £17000 for a used one with 13,500 miles, no way.

After nearly 4 weeks just about getting used to ACC and front assist. It frightened the hell out of when a car cut me up on the M1 and mine braked rather heavily, too heavily in truth. Nearly got the 40 tonner behind me in the boot, he was not happy.

Still get caught out with the ACC though, M1 today, set at 73 mph and driving along in lane 3 of 4 overtaking traffic with traffic in lane 4 overtaking me. Then I spotted that the speedo was reading only 65 mph, the buggers in front had slowed down.

Front assist in the Octavia is useful - although if a car is turning right it it starts to worry you'll hit it. Had it break for me slightly as a car took quite a while to turn left in front of me. I think it's a very useful bit of kit, as long as no one goes into the back of you as previously mentioned.

Thanks for the pointers people - will have a look at carFile. I wouldn't pay that for used, unless it were at least a couple of grand cheaper anyway.