Power for a rear dashcam

muddyboots

Hi all

My cheap chinese dashcam (with separate rear camera) has given up the ghost after 4 years; I'm replacing with two separate cameras, one front and one rear.

There's plenty of info on wiring in the front camera - but does anyone know of any suitable power sources in the rear ?

I guess the ideal location would be in the tailgate itself, but failing that somewhere in the rear would be easier than routing all the way through the car.

Thanks...

That would be the ideal.  There is also the rear 12v power socket, but this is permanently live - might be an option if you have a camera that shuts itself down after xx time or at low voltage.

Although an Octy Scout, I have my  Transcend 200 hard wired into the rear wiper motor. Unlike my forward facing dashcam, it only comes on with the ignition. Later Transcend models have a back-up battery which my model lacks. 

That last detail may be obvious to many of you, which is why I paid someone to install it! 

16 hours ago, weasley said:

There is also the rear 12v power socket, but this is permanently live - might be an option if you have a camera that shuts itself down after xx time or at low voltage.

You can make the rear power socket ignition live by taking power to it off another ignition live circuit in the fusebox - such as the rear wiper motor circuit - via a blade fuse with a spur output (eg one of the correct current rating from this pack).  The rear power socket has its own dedicated circuit (fuse 26 IIRC) so you don't affect anything else by doing this.  See also Great Yeti's thread for more details about this approach.

That said, if the dashcam is attach to the rear window then powering it from the socket in the boot doesn't sound like a great idea.  Too much likelihood of ending up with an untidy installation which flexed the power feed every time you opened and closed the tailgate IMO.  Mounting the dashcam to the fixed bodywork would be possible but I suspect wouldn't give a very good view.  Better IMO to mount it on the window glass and have the rear wiper motor's ignition live power feed right there in the tailgate to patch in to.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to investigate the ignition switched live in the tailgate.

Anyone know how the tailgate trim comes off ? Is it "pull hard and pray" like other VAG cars I've had ?

2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

That said, if the dashcam is attach to the rear window then powering it from the socket in the boot doesn't sound like a great idea.  Too much likelihood of ending up with an untidy installation which flexed the power feed every time you opened and closed the tailgate IMO.  Mounting the dashcam to the fixed bodywork would be possible but I suspect wouldn't give a very good view.  Better IMO to mount it on the window glass and have the rear wiper motor's ignition live power feed right there in the tailgate to patch in to.

Fully agree - you should see the half-arsed setup I had before...:D

Old dashcam had a separate rear camera, which needed attaching to the main unit in the front windscreen. From the front base unit, the wire coiled once round the rear view mirror stem, dangled down past the front of the radio down into the passenger footwell, under the floormat, under the passenger seat, under the rear floormat, under the rear seat, up to and suspended from the centre rear seatbelt buckle (the bit that's tucked up in the roof lining) and then onto the rear screen where the camera was stuck. It was a temporary setup that's been in the car for about 3 years!

7 minutes ago, muddyboots said:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to investigate the ignition switched live in the tailgate.

Anyone know how the tailgate trim comes off ? Is it "pull hard and pray" like other VAG cars I've had ?

All information you need is in the thread on here, short-cut below.
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/320377-fitting-a-rear-drive-recorder-camera/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...