Boot closing

Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a couple of wooden poles, each about 3.5m in length. These will go through the rear armrest opening, but will still be too long to fit in the car and close the boot.

How easy is it to close the electronic boot with something sticking out the back of it? Will it close, can it be tied down etc....   Any advice?

2 hours ago, prattmmc said:

Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a couple of wooden poles, each about 3.5m in length. These will go through the rear armrest opening, but will still be too long to fit in the car and close the boot.

How easy is it to close the electronic boot with something sticking out the back of it? Will it close, can it be tied down etc....   Any advice?

In normal use, you press the boot-close button to start it closing, and then if you press it again on its way down it will stop wherever it is. I guess you could let it lower to the point you want it and then be ready to quickly press the button to stop it going any further. Whether it would auto-open or try to fully close when you start the engine I don't know. Whether you could tie it down, or whether you'd need to, would be something else I couldn't answer.

It's not something I'd fancy trying unless I was travelling a very short distance, preferably on a very quiet road. Is it an estate? If so, could you borrow some roof bars from somewhere and tie them to the roof?

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
  • Like 1

What ChesireBumpkin said: will stop closing and stays put whenever the lid hits an obstacle. Been there done that :biggrin: 3.5 meters would stick out too long (code here requires a flag or light on anything protrudes from the rear, and prohibits anything that sticks out more than .5 meter from the rearmost part of the body). You may want to fold down the passenger seat and wrap the poles in soft cloth to prevent scratching the seat or dash surface. I would not dare to push it all the way forward against the windshield - would scare the *bleep* out of me with every braking :sweat:

Edited by Csory
  • Like 1

Thanks - given me more food for thought!

Not going to let the poles anywhere close to the windscreen - probably just lie them flat on top of both the front and rear arm rests.

Soft cloths/towels definitely advisable to protect interior. 

Glad to say you guys and the car didn't let me down - all passed with flying colours.

Boot closed electronically onto the poles and stayed in position throughout a 10 mile journey at approx 40 - 50mph.

20170324_104852.jpg

20170324_104926.jpg

20170324_104939.jpg

• Like 2