1.2 SEL DSG Has arrived

Well the Citigo has gone and it's big brother has arrived (not even half brother, it must have been adopted).

Nothing good to say about it at the moment!

The seats are excruciatingly uncomfortable (back ache within minutes)

The surge on the engine as the turbo joins the party when pulling away is almost uncontrollable, followed by a scramble up the gears give unpredictable progress.

The suspension is rock hard and the car thumps and skitters down the country lanes that the citigo took in it's stride.

It really is an unpleasant place to be, I was hoping for the qualities (comfort, ride & handling) of a citigo with a bit more power and a better gearbox. Didn't get it!!!

I can't see this being a keeper.

This really is the last time I buy a car without a 24 hour test drive and bringing it on to roads that I know. I would not have touched this with a barge pole.

We are taking it for a day out at the weekend, I am hoping things improve but I can't see how, I am dreading my wife driving it for the first time.

It's a different cup of tea to a Citigo. It sounds as if you need to get control of the moving off first. It has masses of power with max torque at 1400rpm. It means you cannot just dump your foot on the very sensitive throttle and expect a smooth move off. But, once you get the delicate touch (you have to practice), it goes quickly and very smoothly off the line with imperceptible gear changes. I suggest you play with your seating position. It may take you a little while to get your seating position right. Don't forget the steering wheel can be pulled towards you and moved up and down too. Try all the seat controls, move you seat height up or down, move the backrest forward or backwards, and get the seat runners in the right place. Theirs a position for everyone so I cannot imagine you will be any different to anyone else. Take you time. Incidentally, I found the Citigo to be really uncomfortable to start with but later got everything right in it. Suspension was too soft though. I note you have the SEL with the 16" wheels. They are a bit more bumpy to drive over the SE model which has the 15" alloys and slightly higher profile tyres. Don't make the mistake of judging the car too early. You will enjoy the car once you get it setup correctly and learn to adapt to the extra power and 7 speed gearbox. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

It's a different cup of tea to a Citigo. It sounds as if you need to get control of the moving off first. It has masses of power with max torque at 1400rpm. It means you cannot just dump your foot on the very sensitive throttle and expect a smooth move off. But, once you get the delicate touch (you have to practice), it goes quickly and very smoothly off the line with imperceptible gear changes. I suggest you play with your seating position. It may take you a little while to get your seating position right.

And experiment with different footwear. Also I get finer control by turning my foot left and right both about my ankle and the axis from heel to toe.

• Like 1

Sorry that you are a bit dissapointed with the Fabia so far. I find it to be comfortable and well sorted on most roads. If I frequently drove on rough country lanes it would not have been my choice of car, as absorbing harsh bumps isn't its strength. 

I hope the suspension and tyres will soften a bit when you have covered a few hundred miles, and that you will grow to appreciate the good aspects of the car. Worst case, you could test drive a Fabia with 15 inch alloys and discover whether it's worth changing alloys and tyres.

I've got the DSG and the pull away took a little getting used to, it's just being a little gentle at pull away as the throttle is very sensitive there

I've got the sports suspension and 16'' alloys and haven't found it harsh, could you check it hasn't been supplied with the tyres overinflated, maybe they're too firm? 

It took a bit of fiddling to find the right position for the seat, in previous cars I've had it as low as it would go but I haven't needed to do that on the Fabia so as Estate Man says maybe try adjusting the seat, the height and the steering rake and reach, hopefully the perfect fit is there for you somewhere 

Crassus,

have you checked what pressures were in the tyres as handed over to you, reset to suit and reset the TPMS?

On 30/03/2017 at 21:08, Big Steve said:

Well the Citigo has gone and it's big brother has arrived (not even half brother, it must have been adopted).

Nothing good to say about it at the moment!

The seats are excruciatingly uncomfortable (back ache within minutes)

The surge on the engine as the turbo joins the party when pulling away is almost uncontrollable, followed by a scramble up the gears give unpredictable progress.

The suspension is rock hard and the car thumps and skitters down the country lanes that the citigo took in it's stride.

It really is an unpleasant place to be, I was hoping for the qualities (comfort, ride & handling) of a citigo with a bit more power and a better gearbox. 

Hi Big Steve I have the manual SEL 90 which I got 2 year's ago the seats were very hard to start with but do soften up.

The tyres will take about 500 miles to knock the newness off. If your car is brand new it's worth looking in the hand book about driving in, Skoda has dropped the words Running In.

You will get lots of help and advice from people on this site with the automatic clutch I had some problems with my car stalling when I first got it probably due to the tightness of the engine and just getting used to a new car

Hope you can find a comfortable driving position with a bit of trial and error

Best wishes Joe

• Like 1

On 01/04/2017 at 20:40, Awayoffski said:

Crassus,

have you checked what pressures were in the tyres as handed over to you, reset to suit and reset the TPMS?

Yes I have checked the tyres and they were about 10% high, corrected them but not enough to notice a difference.

I had not even noticed that the SEL wheels were lower profile than the SE, I don't feel like changing them anyway.

Over 300 miles on Saturday, mixed roads, Norfolk etc. Seat comfort still not good but it did not get any worse during the day.  I am hoping the suspension will soften up soon, the sports suspension must have steel bars for shock absorbers.

Sat Nav keeps losing its route mid journey, if you go to radio or media and back to Nav the route seems to reset to a previous destination, watching brief on that one.

Car keeps up with traffic very easily with a good launch away from roundabouts, fuel economy was good at about 50mpg.

Seats still awful regardless of adjustment. Just have to hope for bedding in improvements or the car is going, it is no good to us if we can't do long distances because of poor seat comfort. I don't understand how the Citigo seats could have been so much better they just worked for both of us from day one.

The Wife has had her 1.2 110 SE L manual combi for a week now. I took it out yesterday and I was able to set the seat into a comfortable position OK. Centre arm rest makes using the handbrake difficult to access, but not a big issue. The engine is willing, responsive and MPG looks good. Suspension and handling are good. The extra boot space in the combi is also nice. Front  and rear parking sensor display on the Bolero are good, phones paired OK. Panoramic roof also nice.

Nothing bad to say at the moment. 

Moley, they are great aren't they! Can quite understand why Steve is having such a problem as I've not yet met anyone, young or old with that problem. Steve, seats can be a very personal thing and what's right for one person is not always the ticket for someone else. Still, I'd be surprised if you cannot get a comfortable sitting position after the seats have had some carrying time. They do soften just a little. It's nearly always down to how the person is sitting and how they have the seat adjusted. Since there are multiple seating positions, it can take a while to find the best place to be so don't rush. You will find the right place to get that comfort. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been driving an estate 110 SE Tsi DSG for two years and I find that there is little to complain about. I think the seats are, if not luxurious, far more carefully designed to support the body and not cause cramps and stiffness like car seats used to. I often drive 5 hours to Aberdeen non stop and recover from any discomfort in a couple of minutes, and if I remember to keep moving my left leg, I don't suffer at all. In the past, I have had much bigger, and, in their day, more luxurious cars, which always caused more body-ache problems, and that was when I was younger and a bit more supple. The SE model does have good seat and steering adjustment which I use to get a suitable position for myself. And the passenger seat also has the same adjustments which my very old mother appreciates.

As for the DSG gearbox and making a smooth start: after two years of experimenting I am still trying to find the best way of making a smooth start. Try this...

Deactivate the start/stop.

As you stop, push the lever into neutral (does not require the brake pedal).

Apply handbrake. (the engine is running)

Stay in this situation until the lights show orange

To start...

Apply foot brake, move gear lever to Drive.

Release the foot brake.

As the nose of the car rises, gently apply accelerator and release the handbrake together as if you are making a manual hill start.

This should give you a gentle start.

Once moving, I find the DSG a joy. It is very smooth in normal driving and it is clever, it will hold a gear if you are going down a long downhill and it will drop a gear if you are going up hill or put your foot down. It is very responsive and has a personality that I had to get used to.

I have found the suspension good for normal roads: it is compliant and supple but corners flat enough for me and gives confidence. On bumpy or pot holed roads, it is less pleasant and rather lively. I am careful to avoid the worst divots.