Strange emergency braking

Twice now, whilst reserving at slow speed has the emergency brake cut in.  Nothing around, nothing close to the car and not raining.  Has anyone noticed this happening?

Not sure whether it is linked to the "braking feature", but I was pulling away from a roundabout, no one in front and no one behind and the dash flashed up the large, red brake symbol/alarm (not the too close one or the handbrake one).

And finally, occasionally the electric handbrake will not disengage when I set off (manual gearbox).  I resort to pressing the button.

Anyone experiencing this kinda stuff?  Before I take it to the dealer I'd like to know if I can quote that it seems to be a common, known problem.

I had a few problems with the autohold / handbrake not releasing in the early days, but that hasn't happened for a long time so I suspect it might have been user-error on my part in some way.

I can't say I've experienced any of the other problems though. I have found that after two months I'm still stalling occasionally when trying to creep out in second without dropping into first. I would have thought my driving style would have adapted by now...

I had the emergency brake cut in for the first time yesterday whilst reversing out of the driveway as a car flew past the entrance.

As it was the first time I had experienced this in a month of ownership I was pretty impressed with the system.

This morning it did exactly the same thing, except this time there was no traffic, stray cat or anything in sight - so now less impressed.

I always reverse out of my driveway so not sure why it got it so wrong this morning - will need to keep an eye out for it.

As for the electronic handbrake, mine seems to hold for too long at driveaway on occasions causing me to almost stall the car.

The more worrying symptom is when you come to a halt on a hill and you apply the handbrake, only to find after a few seconds the light on the console goes out and the car rolls backwards.

Not impressed with the electronic handbrake ( even with Hill Hold ), you definitely have less control of the vehicle than with a conventional handbrake.

I'm almost at the 1000 mile mark, so maybe I will write a review of my findings then.

10 hours ago, Chiily said:

Twice now, whilst reserving at slow speed has the emergency brake cut in.  Nothing around, nothing close to the car and not raining.  Has anyone noticed this happening?

Not sure whether it is linked to the "braking feature", but I was pulling away from a roundabout, no one in front and no one behind and the dash flashed up the large, red brake symbol/alarm (not the too close one or the handbrake one).

And finally, occasionally the electric handbrake will not disengage when I set off (manual gearbox).  I resort to pressing the button.

Anyone experiencing this kinda stuff?  Before I take it to the dealer I'd like to know if I can quote that it seems to be a common, known problem.

Sorry, edit. Just noticed it was brake, not emergency collision anchors. But check number plates are secure. Front ones being glued instead of screwed has caused emergency braking to kick in.

Edited by biomulv
Port and rum

• 1 month later...

Hi have the superb manual gearbox  after being parked when go to set off brake will not release  cuts engine out , or when driving along come to stop ok but when go to set off sometimes brake stays on .

will do it for about a week then not do it for days on end then just starts again when not expecting it rather dangerous , was talking to sales guy at skoda he said get it booked in to have it checked over might show up on computer, will do one day but my experience with skoda is if they dont see it happen then it never did.

Mine did this for the first week or two I had it, although not to the point of stalling/cutting out. It's never done it since really, although it can be a bit sticky the first time I move off after the car has been washed.

To be honest, I'm not sure what changed - I put it down to user error on my part and getting used to the car. Is it a very new car to you? I think one of the things I read at the time, and made sure I was doing, was to make sure I had the clutch all the way to the floor as I went to pull off. Previously, I think I was guilty of not always depressing it fully.

If you are new to the car, you may find it sorts itself out. I also found in that strange esoteric way that things sometimes happen - as soon as I stopped worrying about it, it stopped happening.

Of course if it doesn't - yes, head to the dealers and get it checked for any software/mechanical problems. Good luck.