Sat Nav Help - Amundson

Hi all

New here so please bear with me.
Just bought a used Octavia Mk3 - 2014 off cargiant, and it did not come with the sd which have the maps so navigation is not working.
How do i get it to work? Can i download maps through update portal, stick them on SD card and then update them?
When i press nav it just says insert a medium with the correct data on it. When i look to see what version i have (of the maps) that field is blank
Any help much appreciated, really is a pain in the behind trying to get this sorted.

The car was sold to me and i knew that the SD card was not included. Cargiant do not do ANYTHING to remedy anything unless the car is in some way unfit for the road or whatever. The car is sold as seen and they will not entertain me, i already tried to get it sorted out before buying the car.
i was told i would have to sort it myself if i wanted the sat nav to work.
Is there anything else i can do?

Edited by Korlak

Either take the car to a Skoda dealer or phone one with the cars vin number and see how much they will charge for a new card. 

It is more likely to be cheaper to by a Sat Nav.

• Like 1

I've got a new Octavia. 

I did multiple experiments with the inbuilt satnav, and also Apple Maps (Carplay) and Google Maps and my Sygic satnav app on my phone. 

The display of the inbuilt satnav was good,  directions were clear - but if there were traffic delays or temporary closures,  simply wrong. Big traffic issues it got right, but other stuff it would actually navigate me into - no use at all. 

Google Maps (phone only, won't carplay to the screen) was good - but surprisingly the worst of all for traffic delays,  temporary closures and rerouting. In one awful case, it three times tried to route me back to a closed road. 

Apple Maps was pretty, showed on carplay, but was not the easiest to use and didn't have a useful enough offline mode. It was better than Google for delays, to my surprise, but was too limited, particularly in alternate routing as things changed. 

I also tested Waze but as it requires 100% access to your location is both a battery killer and a security no no for me. 

In the end, I opted to continue with Sygic which uses Tom Tom maps and traffic updates. My phone is mounted on the dashboard and linked via Bluetooth to the car,  not via carplay. It has its weaknesses too, but was far the best on test (getting a score of just over 80%, compared to just under 60% for the inbuilt one).

This is a very short summary of pretty extensive tests (and I'm a software guy so know how to do this).

If Apple would allow third party satnav apps access to carplay it'd be ideal for me (Google similarly on Android! )

Ok so i bought a used Skoda maps SD card online, tried it and it doesn't work. Currently returning it.

It's looking like a lost cause to be honest, I refuse to pay crazy money for the maps when a good sat nav with lifetime updates is relatively cheap.

It's a real shame, would have liked to sort it.