VED Pro rata?

Bud

As we are no longer required to carry a VED disc wouldn't it be reasonable to actually pay on a daily rate rather than monthly?  After all the MOT and insurance run day to day and this alignment might make it much easier to keep track of all legal obligations.

To do that they'd want to track you 24/7 since mileages are not difficult to edit.

big civil liberties issue there and actually illegal right now.

Not sure I get your point there, we can buy insurance buy the day why not VED.  When tax discs were issued, and transferrable, they had printed dates on the disc I assume for reduction in printing variance and ease.  Now it's all electronic it can be tailored to suit without any difficulty, can't it?

We pay for VED by complete months and you could lose up to 1/6 of the value depending upon when you tax and sell your vehicle.  People drive without insurance and VED, tracking vehicles 24/7 wouldn't make any difference, unless we move to charging per mile.

Just think of it as making a donation to the treasury and into the public purse.

They set it up the way they did knowing that they were taking money (taxation) off people in the same way as they have for years when just refunding full months.

Luckily now putting on and off SORN is easy online and i think the DVLA have been improving, but change of Keeper(owner) and buying new VED is still a farce.

The big con with Insurance companies IMO is getting a motoring offence and informing them and then Insurance companies (Underwriters or Brokers) 

then loading every vehicles cost of Policy.

So you get a Speeding Fine & 3 points and have one vehicle and it might be 3 points & £100 and your insurance increases on that one vehicle, say £80.

Have 3 vehicles and you get a £100 fine, 3 points & then 3 times £80 Insurance increases, maybe even a £35 charge to have the policy changed, 

maybe 3 times £35 if you insure with 3 different companies. 

I was thinking pay per mile rather than day.

But it would still involve a lot of trust on the part of the Government. I could drive for weeks round here with ever passing a camera or car equiped with number plate recognition to check if I was VED paid for a day.

The gov would rather track you 24/7 or have you pay for the year. Don't forget it's nothing to do with roads or even cars. It's just another form of tax. 

• Like 1

VED is a waste of time. Imho it should just be tacked onto the prodigious amount of tax on fuel. 

That way ifyou have a gas guzzler you pay more... 

my tdi vRS was £30/year and year my mates tsi Fabia is £140 and gets far better mpg round the town and not much different on long runs. 

Madness.