Any guesses what this spring is for? - Detachable Tow Bar

The bracket for the electronics on my detachable tow bar has snapped off, so I'm thinking about fabricating a new one. There's a spring going from the socket the bar sits in to the bracket, does anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it might be for? Do I need it?

Picture of spring from Google:

1466767635DSC_0059.JPG

If it's like the Superb detachable, that hanger with the socket on it flips down in use, and up out of the way when you detach the towbar. The spring is probably to help hold it in place in either position.

I've got one of these detachable tow bars & there's always been a problem with this assembly rusting and sticking in the closed position, necessitating regular lubrication. Last year the spring that helps pull the socket up broke. I don't often use the tow bar so I freed up all parts and stuck black duck tape over the hole in the bumper. I haven't renewed the spring, but at least when I next need the tow bar, I know I'll be able to pull down the lighting socket without any problems.