Replacing the Bolero radio

Richard1582

I have just purchased a 66 plate Yeti with the Bolero radio with the SD card slot. I wish to purchase a replacement which has the bluetooth , DAB radio, reads SMS out. But I'd like one to have a sat nav in also without paying a complete fortune. Sokda said it would be 2k for them to upgrade the system and activate the voice controls. 

Can anybody advice me on how easy it would be to remove the Bolero system and buy a different one to install in its place? 

I'm a novice but would prefer to read and watch how to videos and do it myself. 

If you're going to go down the OEM route then you'll hit Component Protection, which is the new level of anti theft security VAG are deploying now. Essentially, if you remove your Bolero and install it in someone elses car then it locks itself. If you take a working Amundsen system from another car and install it in yours then it locks itself. In both cases they're pretty much useless after that unless you find someone to remove the lock for you. That my friend will cost you a few hundreds of £££. Main dealers have access to Skoda HQ where they can code the new unit to your car (possibly, depending on the dealers level of expertise etc.) but as you've found out it aint cheap.

Aftermarket. I don't know what's available to suit your requirements.

I have in the workshop a VW Discover Media (same as the Amundsen but VW brand) which I'm playing with at the moment, and should be able to offer a solution for you if and when I find the time to actually get on with it. I've had it installed in my Yeti (pre facelift) briefly, but had issues with the existing Bluetooth conflicting with it. I'll have another go sometime and clear the bugs out, then it'd be the right sort of solution you're looking for (albeit VW branded).

• Like 1

Thanks for that, i didn't actually know about the locking out. But in fairness i am looking to replace the Bolero, not looking to use it in another car. 

It seems you can easily find lots of choices for other brand cars, but Skoda are hard to buy for. Unless you can use ones for other makes and fit into a Yeti. 

That was my point. If you go for anything OEM / Skoda which will do what you want, then you'll have to address the Component Protection, because as soon as you put it in your car it'll lock and become a brick. Just the same as putting yours in another car. So don't troop off to Ebay and spend £600 on a Skoda unit and install it yourself, because you'll kill it pretty much straight away.

However, if you're going for after market (as you're implying) then CP won't be an issue. But then, you might find a lot of the functionality you'd get from a Skoda unit is missing (such as reverse sensors showing on the screen, steering wheel controls, etc.) so it's not an easy choice.

Sorry I can't guide you on aftermarket stuff, I don't really touch them I'm afraid.

Also, one other thing. Do you have DAB radio at the moment? If not then you'll need a DAB antenna, and you'll also need a GPS antenna for the sat nav, and cables to connect them to your new unit. Then there'll be some coding to make it all work correctly I guess.

• 3 years later...

If you have a Skoda Columbus or Amundsen with a code card then you're looking at the older generation head units, not the later ones as fitted in the 2015 onwards Yeti. A code card just means someone has provided that unit with the unlock code it needs when first powered up in a car, it doesn't mean anything about component protection being avoided because if it comes with a code card then it won't have Component Protection, and as such isn't the topic of discussion here (or was three years ago...)

Edited by Rustynuts