bike help for mrs

malcster

me and my wife are looking at getting back into back biking (both 40+ years old ) 

we have a 2 and half year old toddler who will be ferried around via a burley bee trailer (mainly by me on my commute to and from work i'll drop her of at nursery ) 

anyway sorry im waffling 

our lass was looking at one of these but im not sure if the tyres will be suitable

As they are listed as trekking tyres 

for 70% road use 30% towpath type surfaces with the odd trip to clumber park rutland water etc

i wont purchase the bike probably from amazon but its probably the best picture i could find 

its the tyres im not sure of 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/2013-Viking-Prelude-Ladies-Traditional-Speed-Black/B00B3LHCR4

thanks in advance 

Malcolm

Edited by malcster

If the bike is being used for tarmac 70% of the time you don't want a tyre with too aggressive a tread pattern, those should be fine. Tyres are easy to change if you do find she needs something with more of a knobble on it, they look to be 700c x 38 tyres so are a fairly standard size, there will be lads of choice.

• Like 2

Really i would have to say it is not going to be up to much for trails or tracks.

My partner has 2 similar bikes and they get taken places and need constant tightening and fettling as everthing works loose.

Mudgaurd stays etc. Things are lock tighted now. Punctures are a PITA with the road tyres, but she loves her Shopping Bikes, 

but i need to persuade her soon to get a Hybrid Trail bike sometime soon. Something with 26 or 27.5 suitable tyres & more than 6 or 7 gears.

(& Something that fits on bike racks better...)

DSCN1640.JPG

DSCN1477.JPG

WP_20150519_008.jpg

WP_20150519_004.jpg

WP_20150519_003.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

PS,

Buying from Amazon is OK & various sellers but you can get as good a price at a local bike shop maybe, or actually Halfords these days can sell you and set up a Trekking or Trail Riding bike at a good price, & if they do not set it up and then check it free after a few days worth of riding you have someplace to go back to and come here and tell everyone online.

Setting a bike up out of a box is not difficult but it can be a PITA with some Mail Order Bikes.

There are Mail Order Bikes from UK sellers that come set up, with a tool kit and need not be expensive, there are always sales.

http://tredz.com 

See Womens Hybrid Bikes & then the various from town to trail etc.

Edited by Awayoffski

I just used the Amazon link for the best picture of a particular bike she liked

Tbh she claims she will be going all over with it but in reality it will be a trip to the next village shop once or twice a week which like i say is 70%tarmac and a compacted gravel tow path like surface with a burley bee trailer in tow with our daughter 

£300 will get you a well made bike that will last and not rattle and rust and generally need constant playing about with to have pedalling smoothly.

You can have a basket and a rack and mud guards & decent tyres on a bike, but sadly colour / look might be the decider as i have learned over the years.

(Plastic Baskets fixed can look OK but no doubt a Wicker Style detachable will be favourite, well you can get a 'Good Bike' 

without a Basket then buy the Basket for £20-£25 & fit.)

Ladies Sit up & Beg Bikes are a PITA on my racks because i have ones that hang on the back of the car, not roof carriers.

Ladies Mountain bikes go on OK but the shopper style sit up and beg bike is just a awkward.

Best have a look into Halfords and see what they offer now, i plan to go in under some excuse at the weekend and hopefully then something might 

catch SWIO's eye and the job will be done.

There is no point me choosing and presenting some bike i think is what she wants.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Yes always lock tighted (thread locked) after ridden and run in on cheap bikes.

The problem with the cheap made not always cheaply priced Classics and others can be the Mudguard Mount that goes to a Brake Bolt or Reflector Mount as the thin lugs that rap around just open up and the mudguards car rattle or are just left with the stays holding them.

The Chrome Seat Posts and seat post bolts are pretty rubbish and often do not grip. the brake levers and gear shifter quality is so so, 

Rubbish Seat and Bracket, Grips even tyres, tubes,

but then you can point that out all you want and nothing beats the Love of Colour, Basket, loveliness.

There are some nice Hybrids with Guards, racks and A-Head Sets etc, quick releases on the seat post without costing much and that hold together well. (Then you can swap the quick release for security and those toerags with sticky fingers.)

Off to Kirrougtree Trails this Easter Weekend and there will be no Classic Bikes being taken.

Wet weather gear will be though.

Thanks for all the answers been a real help 

Just one last thing we have an older honda civic that has a detachable tow bar can a bike carrier be used on these 

Only ones I have found are with £150+ or designed for fixed towbar ie you remove the ball and put a bracket in the replace the two bolts for the ball 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use a Thule 970 xpress,they are fairly cheap (circa £60) and just clamp on your towball and certainly ok for 2 adult bikes.

I think I used to use a couple of check straps from the top arms to the tailgate just 'to be sure',it does slightly mark the towball but should not seriously damage it.

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YS53 said:

I used to use a Thule 970 xpress,they are fairly cheap (circa £60) and just clamp on your towball and certainly ok for 2 adult bikes.

I think I used to use a couple of check straps from the top arms to the tailgate just 'to be sure',it does slightly mark the towball but should not seriously damage it.

whats the load capacity please