Skoda Fabia Evaporator Change.

Hello there, I just decided to sign up for this great forum. I'm in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

So, my Skoda Fabia 2007 1.2 HTP has been having a hissing noise and is not cold anymore. I took it to the Mechanic and they said I need to change the Evaporator. I'm looking forward to buying it online since in my country this is very expensive, but I do not know which one fits my car. Is there any way that I could get that information? I mean the Evaporator part number without removing it (Which is a lot of work to do).

Also any recommendations of any online website to buy it?

A hissing noise and no cooling can just indicate that the system is very low on refrigerant. Did your mechanic try to check/fill the system? Presumably he did and it indicated a big leak?

There are four different part numbers for the evaporator on this page, item 20, depending on date of manufacture of the car. Unhelpfully, the last one doesn't give any dates, but possibly would be backwards-compatible to any. I wouldn't be confident about that last point though.

Yes, we filled it and it was good for about 2 weeks. After that, It lost all the refrigerant.

By the way, Thanks a lot for the website! This gives me an idea. My Fabia is 2007, which one you think would fit? I'm not very good at this.

Edited by ArthurD

24 minutes ago, Wino said:

A hissing noise and no cooling can just indicate that the system is very low on refrigerant. Did your mechanic try to check/fill the system? Presumably he did and it indicated a big leak?

There are four different part numbers for the evaporator on this page, item 20, depending on date of manufacture of the car. Unhelpfully, the last one doesn't give any dates, but possibly would be backwards-compatible to any. I wouldn't be confident about that last point though.

I would guess it is the second one with the code: 6Q0820103B.

Yeah, unless your car was built slightly earlier, and not registered until 2007 for some reason.

I'll just have a look at some photos I might have of a spare evaporator, just in case it happens to be that number. Too late here today for me to go out to the shed and try to find the real item.

Just now, Wino said:

Yeah, unless your car was built slightly earlier, and not registered until 2007 for some reason.

I'll just have a look at some photos I might have of a spare evaporator, just in case it happens to be that number. Too late here today for me to go out to the shed and try to find the real item.

I think they all are compatible. As I'm looking in Ebay and they all seem to fit. However, I will wait for your reply if you find anything. In my country, this cost around 625 US dollars. Too expensive.

Also, is there any website you would recommend to purchase it?

Can't find a photo with part number visible.

I'll grab the real thing tomorrow and see what number it is.  I vaguely remember testing it by blowing into it and finding it held pressure.

I bought an entire heater/aircon 'box' including everything except the cabin fan for £20 delivered from a scrapyard trading on eBay here, great bargain!

7 minutes ago, Wino said:

I bought an entire heater/aircon 'box' including everything except the cabin fan for £20 delivered from a scrapyard trading on eBay here, great bargain!

Is that a website or just eBay? Which Ebay by the way? .uk?

Thanks for all your assistance. I have this idea that the one I need is 6Q0820103b, however, I will wait for your reply tomorrow. After that, I will start looking for the part online.

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

If mine isn't suitable, I'd be happy to investigate forwarding one onto you if you find one cheap but can't get it delivered to your location. 

Thank you. At the moment, I see very cheap ones on Ebay, however, I do not know which brand would be better. They way I need to do it is Have it shipped to the USA. From the USA I have someone that send it to my country.

To my surprise, I can't find a VW group part number anywhere on this evaporator, only manufacturer info.  I guess that might cross-reference to a VW group part number?

(Click to enlarge)

20170415_101538.jpg

20170415_101547.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wino said:

To my surprise, I can't find a VW group part number anywhere on this evaporator, only manufacturer info.  I guess that might cross-reference to a VW group part number?

(Click to enlarge)

20170415_101538.jpg

20170415_101547.jpg

This is the one for Skoda Fabia 2007?

1 minute ago, Wino said:

This was from a 2003 Polo. I think the part number ending B was one of two listed in the parts catalogue for 2003 Polo.

You are using that on your Fabia? It looks like the 6Q0820103B one. Same position for the valve. I think it is the same one. I don't know if the width affects.

To be honest it's probably a safer bet for you to buy a new one (that Amazon one seems a very good price), considering the journey it has to make, and the effort involved to install it. 

I had no real plans for that one, just part of my huge collection of spares!

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

To be honest it's probably a safer bet for you to buy a new one (that Amazon one seems a very good price), considering the journey it has to make, and the effort involved to install it. 

I had no real plans for that one, just part of my huge collection of spares!

I agree. So we would agree that 6Q0820103B is the one I need? Any specific brand that work as the OE?

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Yes, that's the part number I would try to get, for a 2007 Mk1 Fabia.

I don't know which brand to recommend, sorry.

Let me know if you want help getting it to you.

In case I do, this part does not ship to either United States or Dominican Republic, if I send it to your house, how much is shipping to US? Also I will try to check for prices in my country with this part number that I did not have before.

My spare weighs about 1.6kg with the expansion valve, 1.35kg without. Quotes to ship to USA are around £17-20, for that weight.  There might be an import tax to pay in the USA? Not sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

My spare weighs about 1.6kg with the expansion valve, 1.35kg without. Quotes to ship to USA are around £17-20, for that weight.  There might be an import tax to pay in the USA? Not sure. 

Thanks. Will do some research in the next week since it is Easter here and everything is closed.

My last question would be: any website where I could purchase online both headlights, the regular ones? And foglights? I don't seem to find these.

27 minutes ago, Wino said:

I've never bought headlights or foglights for a Fabia, sorry.

I will try to create another post for it. Thanks a bunch for everything.

• Like 1