Help needed! New owner!

Hi all

I am new to Skodas and have just purchased a 2002 Octavia 1.9td.

I noticed that where the coolant bottle is there is a connector - but on mine nothing is plugged in to it!

There was a wire that was bent back on itself and tucked back in the sleeve - not sure if it has anything to do with this but now I am worried!

Car drives fine and I didn't notice this when I looked at it!

Any help much appreciated!

cool.jpg

wire.jpg

cool.jpg

The connector on the bottle is for the low coolant light. The wire is probably whats left of the plug. Best thing to do is find someone breaking one and cut off the plug and solder onto the wiring.

Edited by Guest
Addcomment

ahh that's what I thought. From searching on here it appears that some don't come with them as they don't have the connector on the loom as it wasn't needed?

ok many thanks - I've found one on ebay and bought it so will fit when arrives.

Seems odd that its missing tho - maybe the previous sensor was faulty and the person removed it to stop the bleeps, and never replaced it.

I purchased the car from second hand dealer so i'm a little suspicious - but its a 15 year old car so anything could have happened really. He did give me a 3 month warranty with it tho so I cant see him doing that on purpose - will I hope not

Edited by aly1983

21 minutes ago, aly1983 said:

Seems odd that its missing tho - maybe the previous sensor was faulty and the person removed it to stop the bleeps, and never replaced it.

That's almost certainly why someone has done that to the wiring, to stop a false low coolant warning

I had a similar problem with mine, the metal connectors inside become corroded and give bad readings. Why the previous owner didn't just get a new one from for Europart for £15 (plus £6 for a new cap) is beyond me.

Small tip. It is worth buying electrical connector cleaner (spray can with a brush head) and connector grease (in a can and only use a tine amount). This helps the connectors work properly and for longer.

awesome thank so much for the help and advise guys! I purchased a new coolant bottle and plug, so will fit when that arrives.

So far I have left to sort -

1) the bonnet catch/switch problem causing the orange oil light (oil changed yesterday so I am 99.9% sure its that from reading up on here)

2) The door lock issue that seems common but also a relatively easy fix (im going to just replace the whole door lock module rather than the microswitch tho)

Great forum this and very helpful

Make sure you get a small screwdriver and clean the probes inside the coolant bottle carefully, so you know the sensor is good. Common fault with the bonnet lock wiring. Door locks can be purchased on eBay for a fraction of the price of dealers. I have three on my Mk1 and been on there for three years now with no issues. 

Rear left:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331075864954?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Rear right:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331075892222?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Front left:- (out of stock at the moment) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231071627478?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Front right:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331042647445?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

They range from £25-£30.