Decent pressure washer

labman1001

38 minutes ago, labman1001 said:

Hi Kenny, does the 110 do a reasonable job on cleaning the car with the supplied foam bottle or would it be better with an alternative

Sorry I don't know, I've never used it. I wash the car with a microfibre mitt, but I do believe you can easily get proper snow foam attachment that fit the Nilfisk lance.

• Like 1

Getting a bit more confused looking at specs as the Nilfisk's are saying they're only rated at 84-85 bar nominal and the Karcher's at 105-110 bar, is 84-85 bar really enough to do a decent job.... Also the Karchers only seem to come with a miserly 4 metre long hose meaning a lot of moving the washer around 

Only the basic Karcher K2's comes with 4m hose, the rest (K2 Premium onward) are 6m unless you get the K5 premium at 8m or K7 at 10m.

In regards to the snowfoam lance they tend to be a bit basic from Nilfisks and Karcher. The Karcher FJ10c is better but still not a patch on the Autobrite snowfoam lances but you are talking £40 for one of them or a bit cheaper for a copy.

Edited by CWARD

On the subject of snowfoam lances - i am currently using one of these off eBay!

Absolute bargain at the price.... < £11 delivered. 5 months in - no issues.

Fitment shown/linked is for the DirectHoses All Black 8 machine....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302202161394?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input .... Reading everything here and looking at online reviews it looks as I've Nilfisk is maybe a better buy than the Karcher at the same price point ... Accessories etc are also a lot cheaper.

The K4 in Argos does look a good buy but I don't think I could get the Mrs around to my spending £146 on one... Her and my youngest are buying it for an early Fathers Day and 60th birthday present and I can go up to maybe £100 

• Like 1

TLDR

If it's for basic tasks a Karcher K2 will do the trick but... wait for an offer they go up and down in price like a tart's knickers.

I picked mine up in a new year sale for £32 in Tesco and I've seen them on 'offer' for over £80.

I was about to drop £200 on a decent Nilfisk thinking the Karcher would break. But for £32 I thought if I get a year out of it I'll be happy.

3yr later the thing has been faultless and I'm more than happy I got my money's worth. It's not the best, or the most powerful and I got one with only the two standard lances but it works for me.

I'd buy another one but only if it was stupid cheap again. If I was paying proper money I'd get on of the Nilfisk units with the brass bits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oxonboxn said:

I bought this kit about three years ago and am delighted with it....it costs a bit more but comes with a longer (8 metre) pressure hose as standard and includes extra jets specifically for car cleaning....a fan-shaped jet and an underbody jet.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1577941

I've got one of those too last year from the Nilfisk Outlet store online - cost me £25...   :biggrin:

Hi BATVANVRS,

It is a well speccified machine and it looks the business but the lack of a snow foam gun still puts me off it... I did find one on line for it but with no experience of it I'm not sure how good it would be .... Our local store still had several in on Thursday last week ...

However after having to spend £290 replacing my rear calipers and pads on Friday the plans for a pressure washer have been put slightly on the back burner just now....

this his is the snow foam lance I seen on line 

http://cleantec.biz/aldi-workzone-snow-foam-lance-with-1l-detergent-bottle.html

Edited by labman1001

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet and bought a new Karcher from their website.  

K4 Premium Full Control Home

Includes patio jet and various other bits so am pleased with the price .  Apparently reduced from £330 to £199 and get another 7% off in May via:

Archer Discount Code

Hi Folks,

whilst cash remains tight after the expense of replacing the rear calipers and pads I've still not given up on getting my hands on a pressure washer but after looking at the Karcher K2 I'm far from impressed with its build quality or even the way it feels .... The gun part feels it's made from the same cheap plastic of a kids toy gun and feels so flimsy and it honestly looks as if it wouldn't last long at all... Even the vario lance for the K2 feels really cheap and nasty.

I've found the Karcher Outlet Web Site where they sell off their refurbished units at greatly reduced prices and may look at going for a K4 which feels a tad more  solidly built ... The only downside of buying on here is at the moment everything only seems to come with a measly 4 metre long hose which is far from ideal. They also in general only come with a 6 month warranty although some do come with 12 and it is only £5 to extend it to a year....

ideally I'd like to see a Nilfisk machine in the flesh to compare build quality and the parts quality to the Karcher but nobody local, other than Argos, sells them to get my hands on one...

Do you have a Machiinemart store local to you, as they do Nilfisk, and usually have units on display to look at to give you a better view.

I am biased, I have a Nilfisk and love it, but am looking to update to a more powerful unit due to other projects. For car cleaning, the Nilfisk is more than adequate in my opinion, but as I said, I'm biased as I already use one, but I also had 3 Karchers before it and would not have a fourth.

13 hours ago, labman1001 said:

Hi Folks,

whilst cash remains tight after the expense of replacing the rear calipers and pads I've still not given up on getting my hands on a pressure washer but after looking at the Karcher K2 I'm far from impressed with its build quality or even the way it feels .... The gun part feels it's made from the same cheap plastic of a kids toy gun and feels so flimsy and it honestly looks as if it wouldn't last long at all... Even the vario lance for the K2 feels really cheap and nasty.

I've found the Karcher Outlet Web Site where they sell off their refurbished units at greatly reduced prices and may look at going for a K4 which feels a tad more  solidly built ... The only downside of buying on here is at the moment everything only seems to come with a measly 4 metre long hose which is far from ideal. They also in general only come with a 6 month warranty although some do come with 12 and it is only £5 to extend it to a year....

ideally I'd like to see a Nilfisk machine in the flesh to compare build quality and the parts quality to the Karcher but nobody local, other than Argos, sells them to get my hands on one...

If you do get a refurb   , then you have saved for this 7.5 metre gun and hose, then youve a spare gun also, but to be honest its only the  o ring you would have a problem with after 2 years of hard use and then you just swap ends,  I always buy from here for spares and at £37.99 makes it much more versatile , http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1331411/pressure-washer-hose-and-hand-gun---75m?pageNumber=1&PartTypeId=1638&ModelTypeId=15also the cheaper snow foam guns are great as long as you run water through them after as some models you cannot remove the gauze as easily as the genuine ones 

• Like 2

On 03/05/2017 at 10:58, labman1001 said:

Hi Kenny, does the 110 do a reasonable job on cleaning the car with the supplied foam bottle or would it be better with an alternative

I have a K6.50 which has worked faultlessly for 15 years.

It has had 2 new hoses and a new lance, but otherwise nothing.

Its rated at 130 bar and is good for the car, patio etc.

There is an issue with the foam bottle. It uses loads of foam liquid and doesn't produce anywhere near the density of foam that a dedicated foam lance does, also the bottle will use about 500ml to do one car, whereas a dedicated lance will only use about 100ml

• 3 weeks later...