Fuel tank - How many miles left when in red zone?

peugeot_205_gti

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/image/9679-2016-06-13-122915/

Some people manage 35 miles and others 50 miles after the PID shows zero.  The reality is the tank will take 38 in the 35 litre tank. But do you want to risk running out or sucking up dirty dregs from the bottom of the tank? Just give it the beans and fill up when you don't have to pay motorway prices.

Thinking back to the 600 miles per tank attempt a while back...

IIRC, when the fuel light comes on the PID shows about 35 miles (someone can correct me on this I'm sure). I've got 50 miles past zero on the PID (at nothing near motorway speeds though), so I'd say no more than 85 miles from the light coming on to empty. Probably 50 miles at motorway speeds (70)

However, if i didn't have the reassurance of the PID and a can of unleaded in the boot, I'd probably try and fill up within 30 miles of the light coming on, i.e. the next motorway service station.

Fuel pump takes fuel at the same place no matter if tank is full or empty. There is also fuel filter.

But you should be worried about fuel pump when tank is almost empty. Pump is cooled and lubricated by fuel. Low fuel level risks fuel pump mileage. 

From the warning sound coming on to the gauge reading empty is between 30-35 miles, I wouldn't risk going any further than that. When my gauge reads half full its effectively 1/3 full.

The "full" to half tank allows far more miles than the "lower" half. Half a guage reading is not half a tank fuel. I also believe that when the tank is almost empty that the sloshing about will stir up some sediment that will be picked up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emil said:

That's why there is the fuel filter. 

My father used to drive an old Ford Sierra diesel. Once it stopped as no fuel was coming to the engine. Changing filter did not help. In the end they had to wash out the whole fuel line and finally the tank before it would start again.

• 1 month later...

From experience, low fuel light / red zone starts at 50 miles range left. That should give 45-50 motorway miles to zero.

beyond zero, I have just driven a further 55 miles to an empty tank.

So you could expect at least 90-100 miles range from fuel light on........ To an empty tank !

I was 12 miles from my motorway fuel stop when the red light came on. The sat nav screen went blank then gave a message to the effect "low fuel warning remaining miles 40" it also gave me options of nearest filling stations.

I was easily able to drive the 12 miles and fill up but much further would have been squeaky bum time for me.:blush: