Towing with 1.2ltr Yeti

Bas1234

Hello I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Yeti ownership. I have a Yeti 1.2ltr petrol Oct 2016 model which I am very pleased with, I do have a question which I hope someone can help me with. 

I'm thinking of buying a caravan which I would like to tow with my current car, I've found a caravan which fits in with the Yeti very well being under 85% of the kerbweight and less than the 80kg noseweight of the Yeti. But can anyone tell me how the Yeti will perform whilst towing such a weight, I would hate to find I can't do more than 30 or40 mph I would like to be able to do say upto 60mph on a good level motorway etc. 

Does anyone have any experience of towing with the 1.2 petrol Yeti and can let me know how it goes.

Many thanks for any help you can give

19 minutes ago, Bas1234 said:

Hello I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Yeti ownership. I have a Yeti 1.2ltr petrol Oct 2016 model which I am very pleased with, I do have a question which I hope someone can help me with. 

I'm thinking of buying a caravan which I would like to tow with my current car, I've found a caravan which fits in with the Yeti very well being under 85% of the kerbweight and less than the 80kg noseweight of the Yeti. But can anyone tell me how the Yeti will perform whilst towing such a weight, I would hate to find I can't do more than 30 or40 mph I would like to be able to do say upto 60mph on a good level motorway etc. 

Does anyone have any experience of towing with the 1.2 petrol Yeti and can let me know how it goes.

Many thanks for any help you can give

Wow that's a light caravan as 85% is only 1075kg.

I don't tow with our Yeti but tow a 1500kg caravan with our Passat.

I do have a towbar on the Octavia 1.2TSi and sometimes tow a 1000kg builders trailer behind it. It tows OK although you need to use a fair amount of revs on steeper inclines. 60mph on motorways is fairly easy. Economy does suffer though, I'm down to around 25mpg when loaded.

With the Yeti and the caravan you will have more drag but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

I towed with my 2L diesel and it towed well, the Orion 400/2 was around 1075kg.

I think you will find yourself grinding along in the inside lane on hills or steep motorway

but if you are not in a hurry, go for it. i used to tow Eriba, a Puck L 230Gt another 2 berth

caravan that weighed next to nothing and its classic lozenge shape and retracting roof

gave it a small frontal area so little air resistance a dream to tow!

Many thanks for these replies so quick they do give me a bit of comfort.

Yes it is a light caravan a new lunar only weighs 995kg not big but ok for 2, seeing this is what has got me thinking.

25 minutes ago, Bas1234 said:

Many thanks for these replies so quick they do give me a bit of comfort.

Yes it is a light caravan a new lunar only weighs 995kg not big but ok for 2, seeing this is what has got me thinking.

Ah the little Ariva. With cars getting lighter each generation caravan manufacturers are going to have to make lighter caravans and Lunar are ahead of the game in that respect.

Decades ago I towed heavier vans with 1.8 and 2.0 normally aspirated petrols with around 100bhp. I wouldn't have a problem trying the Ariva on the 1.2 Yeti.

As that Mr Gumdrop I [still] tow an eriba but with a 110bhp 2.0L diesel. The current van is 1200kg fully loaded, but running around 1050/1100kg I have got 38/41mpg at UK speeds. This is similar to the mpg with previous 900kg eriba.

I did consider the 1.2tsi engine but eventually decided against it. I believe it would "cope" but no more. The current VW 1.4tsi though would make me reconsider. It has the same torque as my diesel and across wider rev ranges through the gears.

If you want a lightweight caravan have you considered an eriba. As well as looking interesting, being well built and easy to tow they go up in value. I have sold my previous three for more than I paid for them.

3 - hitched up-800.jpg

1 - side view-800.jpg

Again thanks for the help. I've looked at the Octavia 1.2 Tsi logiclee and it's dimensions kerbweight toque etc are the same as my Yeti's so I'm guessing it should perform about the same, but I'm still pondering it appears that no one has actually towed with one of these Yeties most seem to have gone for the diesel but we bought the car before we thought of towing plus there so much agro about diesels at the moment not sure I would have gone for one, I've looked at the VW 1.4 and there's not a great deal of difference between that and my 1.2 the toque is 200 as opposed to 175 on the 1.2 Yeti but I don't know how much difference that makes.

2 hours ago, Bas1234 said:

Again thanks for the help. I've looked at the Octavia 1.2 Tsi logiclee and it's dimensions kerbweight toque etc are the same as my Yeti's so I'm guessing it should perform about the same, but I'm still pondering it appears that no one has actually towed with one of these Yeties most seem to have gone for the diesel but we bought the car before we thought of towing plus there so much agro about diesels at the moment not sure I would have gone for one, I've looked at the VW 1.4 and there's not a great deal of difference between that and my 1.2 the toque is 200 as opposed to 175 on the 1.2 Yeti but I don't know how much difference that makes.

The newer 150PS 1.4TSi has 250NM from 1500rpm but was only available in the Yeti as an manual 4x4 with L&K spec.

The Mk2 Octavia and Yeti are on the same platform and share the same wheelbase. The Octavia has a longer rear overhang for that big boot so in theory the Yeti should offer better towing manners. The Yeti also has a more complex independent rear suspension setup. 

Don't worry about it too much, the 1.2TSi 105/110 does have less torque than the 2.0TDi 110PS at  175NM v 250NM but the petrol does have lower gearing (Around 20%) so more of that engine torque reaches the wheels in each gear. 

Both cars above have the same power and will offer similar performance but the petrol will require more rpm and use more fuel as a result.

I expect with just the two of you you will be travelling quite light and wont have 5 people and a boot full of luggage in the boot. I would not be too concerned with 995kg on the back.

Our Octavia 1.2TSi is my commuting car and daily work horse. I've had 5 large adults in it, 5 large suitcases in the boot, 5 sets of hand luggage and trailer on the back with at around 600kg and come up the motorway at 60mph in 6th @ 2000rpm. Some inclines required a drop to 5th but hardly thrashing it.

In the 80's when diesels were noisy, smelly and slow I used to tow a 1000kg Caravan with a 2.0 petrol Sierra and that had 100PS and 156NM @ 3250rpm

So the 1.2TSi with 110PS and 175NM @1400rpm just shows how far we have come.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Thanks again logiclee a lot of the figures are above me but I am beginning to  understand it all. If the Octavia can do it it looks like the Yeti should. It's occurred to me the some years ago we towed a elddis wisp which was a much bigger van than we are looking at now with a 1.4ltr rover ( I think it was a Nissan engine ) G reg without any problems and as you say engines have improved no end since then. 

3 hours ago, Bas1234 said:

Thanks again logiclee a lot of the figures are above me but I am beginning to  understand it all. If the Octavia can do it it looks like the Yeti should. It's occurred to me the some years ago we towed a elddis wisp which was a much bigger van than we are looking at now with a 1.4ltr rover ( I think it was a Nissan engine ) G reg without any problems and as you say engines have improved no end since then. 

Rover used a lot of Honda engines before the BMW takeover but if it was a 1.4 it was more than likely a K Series Rover engine.

They ranged from 75PS to 105PS and torque ranged from 90NM to 125NM at 3500rpm to 4000rpm.

The most common unit was the 90PS version that had a peak torque of 114NM @3500rpm

The Yeti 1.2TSi  8V has 105PS and 175NM from 1550rpm to 4000rpm

The Yeti 1.2TSi 16V has 110PS and 175NM from 1400rpm to 4000rpm.

Turbocharging not only gives more power and torque but the torque is available over a much wider rev range.

Lee

• 2 years later...

I'm looking at this the other way around. If you already owned your proposed caravan, would you choose the Fabia 90 to tow it? 

I think the answer is no.