yeti tyre time

Sad555

looks like I need to get a couple of new tyres for the front to replace the existing dunlops sp01,had a quick look online for prices for the Dunlop ( sport blue response) about £111 each fitted and wondered if anybody has any recommendations or thoughts that might help?

Have you considered rotating the fronts to the back for more longevity? Even though our cars are 4x4 they do wear the front more quickly due to steering etc.  I had 2mm difference front to rear so swapped and don't think that will be enough to upset the haldex.

My rosso 17s are due soon too once the rotation has brought them all evenly low. Have you considered all season tyres?

I have had them on two previous cars and they are reassuring in winter and the wet. I was impressed by the fact they are as quiet as regular tyres now, and wear just as slowly. I am trying to decide upon Goodyear Vector 4 seasons or Michelin Cross Climate - both are all year rather than winter or summer. They are more than £111 though of course. They look good too lol - as you see so much tyre on a yeti that a plus if there ever was one. Pic is of my wifes fiat with Vectors when they were newly fitted.

IMG_6637.JPG

Edited by sixer
  • Like 1

have you tried my tyres? just replaced some Pirellis with sp01's cost 420€ all in - about £92 a corner but they were in a goodyear discount offer - no I don't understand it either, but Dunlop are now part of goodyear!  -  I have found the sp01's quieter than the originally fitted Pirelli's!

• Like 1

well so far and still looking have found some dunlops sport bluresponce £102 each,i never really had need winters here to be honest .not much wear on the rears but fronts down to about 2mm. hence 2 front tyres req after 22.000 miles which I'm more than happy with as I only got about 11.000 with the fronts on the Octavia vrs

16 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

well so far and still looking have found some dunlops sport bluresponce £102 each,i never really had need winters here to be honest .not much wear on the rears but fronts down to about 2mm. hence 2 front tyres req after 22.000 miles which I'm more than happy with as I only got about 11.000 with the fronts on the Octavia vrs

I managed similar on my old Octavia TDi - under 2mm in only 10,000 miles on the front's. The SP01s did similar to yours, doing around 22,000 miles (swapped with winters) and getting down to 3mm or so. I put all seasons (Nokian Weatherproof) on two years ago, and have done just under 18,000 since then. Fronts are down to 5mm and rears are still over 6mm. Much better wear rate than the Dunlops and cost me £100/corner fitted. Best wet weather tyre I've used.

quick update for any body needing tyres. kwik fit thornbury offering 50% off if fitted between 0700_ 0800 Saturday,£118 for PAIR OF DUNLOPS sport spo1

• Like 1

When I got my Octavia Estate about 3.5 years ago it came with Dunlop Sport tyres as standard on it, very, very noisy tyres and not all that great wearing even with two wheel drive. I did a lot of checking online and found quite a few recommendations for tyres made by Vredestein, the model was Ultrac Satin. I had to change my front tyres on that car last spring even though the mileage wasn't that high and got two of the Ultrac Satin tyres put on instead, big difference in road noise, much quieter! If I'd have kept that car I would have changed the rear tyres over to the same tyre too but no way would I ever buy Dunlop Sport tyres ever again, maybe the tyres felt worse on the Octavia because of the poor suspension setup? My Yeti has Pirelli tyres on it and feels much smoother over all the lumps and bumps on the road than my Octavia ever did.

Cant believe I'm saying a big thank you to kwik fit 2 replacement Dunlop sp @£59 EACH and all done before 0800.worth the drive

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Cant believe I'm saying a big thank you to kwik fit 2 replacement Dunlop sp @£59 EACH and all done before 0800.worth the drive

GOAL!

• Like 1

On 27/04/2017 at 16:06, Sad555 said:

quick update for any body needing tyres. kwik fit thornbury offering 50% off if fitted between 0700_ 0800 Saturday,£118 for PAIR OF DUNLOPS sport spo1

I was not aware of Kwik Fit being open that early on a Saturday, around our way its 8am earliest. Not that I have used Kwik for at least 5 years and then it was only in desperation

I've never used kiwi fit before,but at £59 a corner for a branded tyre there's a first time for everything.

On 24/04/2017 at 22:05, sixer said:

Have you considered rotating the fronts to the back for more longevity? Even though our cars are 4x4 they do wear the front more quickly due to steering etc.  I had 2mm difference front to rear so swapped and don't think that will be enough to upset the haldex.

My rosso 17s are due soon too once the rotation has brought them all evenly low. Have you considered all season tyres?

I have had them on two previous cars and they are reassuring in winter and the wet. I was impressed by the fact they are as quiet as regular tyres now, and wear just as slowly. I am trying to decide upon Goodyear Vector 4 seasons or Michelin Cross Climate - both are all year rather than winter or summer. They are more than £111 though of course. They look good too lol - as you see so much tyre on a yeti that a plus if there ever was one. Pic is of my wifes fiat with Vectors when they were newly fitted.

IMG_6637.JPG

My car has Goodyear 4Seasons tyres which were rotated left to right side and vice versa.

I then got a Road Worthiness certificate and was told the tyres had been incorrectly changed sides and thus ROTATION was incorrect.

I've always beenof the opinion that once they are installed on a wheel correctly it didn't matter which side they were placed on.

Sure enough the rotation indication is stamped on the side .

It seems there are asymmetric AND rotational tyres.