Coolant loss when new

TeeDeeEye

Got the new Yeti Friday evening, all was well but noticed the coolant level was near the low mark when I got home but didn't think any more of it.

Set off the next day up the A1 for Yorkshire and the coolant light came on after about 15 miles. Stopped and checked and the level was low. No leaks to be seen. Topped it up to just over the max mark with about a litre of water and carried on with all fingers crossed. Checked it again after about 20 miles and it had dropped to just below the max level. I'm thinking the worst and rang the dealers about turning back and leaving it with them and getting a courtesy car, but they didn't have any. Carried on and thankfully after another 150 miles it hasn't dropped at all. Dealer rang this morning to see how we were getting on and he agreed it could have been an air lock. I'm going to keep an eye on it in case it reappears but apart from that running perfectly and really pleased with the engine and DSG.

Happened to me with the CR-V.  Done about 100 miles from new and was having a look round under the bonnet and noticed there was only a very small amount of coolant visible at the bottom of the expansion tank.  Topped it up to the max level and it hasn't moved since after about 2500 miles.

Asked the dealer about it and they said it wasn't that uncommon to have an airlock when filled at the factory, which works its way out once driven for a reasonable period.

• Like 1

My wifes first fabias suffered from slight constant coolant loss for years. Turned out to be a faulty sealing washer under the thermostat sensor screwed into the radiator which weeped when the engine was hot, so never a trace of any leak under the car as any loss boiled off the radiator before dropping onto the ground. Eventually found only by a slight stain under the sensor.

These things can happen and need to be tracked down, but it does sound like you had an air pocket.

Yes I will do, didn't have a choice when it happened, I can't remember the last time I needed to top up the coolant, definitely wasn't expecting it with this car!

Update, car has been fine for a week until today noticed water under the car on the driveway after a short run. Coolant is dripping from the lower joint on the pipe going into the heater right next to the bulkhead. Not sure if it's the hose not secured properly or maybe the heater body.

Straight back to the dealer then - don't fiddle about with it yourself and give them an excuse to potentially void the warranty.

Guest FurryFriend

Not saying you DON'T have a coolant leak, and certainly get your dealer to check it out, but a lot of people are quite surprised how air conditioning pipes will also drip quite a bit once the car has stopped. Just condensation. Might be that? 

I still work on my weekly check routine, despite also having a brand new car. Years and years of experience with cars..... that's all. 

It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to check all essentials, water, oil, brake fluid level, screenwash and tyres. 

But you'd be surprised how normally careful and conscientious people, having just spent a LOT of money on a new car, just can't be bothered or even boast, as if it's something to be smart about,  that they don't even know where the bonnet catch is. 

I've seen a fair few drivers arriving with their cars on transporters and breakdown trucks, wishing that they had! 

If that was my car I'd be pleased that the fault is so clearly identified and looking at it, easily rectified as a minor issue.  That is far better than having ongoing coolant loss, albeit minor, but not being able to find where it's going to, with the potential for something more serious.

• 2 weeks later...